Women in Music Festival
2006 Women in Music Festival
Women in Music Festival 2006
March 27-31, 2006 | Noon-1 p.m. | Eastman School of Music
The Women In Music Festival is a celebration of women involved in all aspects of music, including composition, performance, teaching, scholarship, and administration.
The Festival consists of daily noontime concerts in the Eastman School of Music’s Main Hall (26 Gibbs Street), Schmitt Hall (26 Gibbs Street), and in the Atrium of Miller Center (27 Gibbs Street, formerly Eastman Place). All concerts are free and open to the public, and seating is available for expectant mothers and the elderly.
Special Focus for 2006
- Lecture – “Singing Divine Troubles: Women’s Poetry from Kangra, Northwest India.” Thursday, March 30, 1:30 pm (Howard Hanson Hall)
- Wednesday – “Music in the Time of Susan B. Anthony,” a musical commemoration of the centennial of her death
- Bicentennial of the birth of Fanny Mendelssohn Hensel
- Centennial of the birth of Miriam Gideon (USA), Louise Talma (USA), Elisabeth Lutyens (UK), and Grace Williams ( Wales)
- Libby Larsen’s visit in Rochester (March 3-6, 2006)
- Panel Discussion: “Women in Music” issues (questions, focus, and panelists TBA), Friday, March 31, 1:30-3:30 pm (Ciminelli Formal Lounge). Submit discussion questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.