Today’s Library hours
Sibley Music Library.
capturing the arch above the
main entrance to Miller Center.
completing a biography of Verdi (1886). In 1885, he was
appointed chief editor of Le ménestrel. His vast working library, containing scholarly texts and also many operas in full score, piano-vocal scores, and piano solo transcriptions, was acquired by the University of Rochester in 1923, and divided between the Rush Rhees Library and the Sibley Music Library. His principal interest was the musical theatre, an interest manifest in this reference work which he compiled.
(Milan: Ricordi, 1904)
with revisions in the composer's hand. The copy is one of a substantial cache of rare editions of nine operas by Giacomo Puccini, purchased with funds generously provided by Dr. John F. Flagg (UR '36). The Sibley Music Library published a catalogue of these editions in 1997, edited by Dr. Michael V. Pisani (ESM '96)
Gibbs and Main before it was torn
down to build Eastman Place
(now Miller Center), the building
that has housed
Sibley Music Library
miniscle hand, the Admont-Rochester codex is a 12th century
collection of early medieval theoretical music treatises.
Written in Germany or Austria, it was previously owned by the
Benedictine Admont Abbey, near Salzburg, Austria, and
was purchased by the Sibley Music Library from E.P. Goldschmidt
in 1936. The last page of the manuscript features an exquisite
Guidonian hand (photographed), devised by theorist Guido
d'Arezzo to propagate a method of sight-singing which
relied on the six syllables ut, re, mi, fa, sol, and la.
The interior of Sibley Music Library (1989- ).
Photo taken from the 3rd floor facing east towards the main entrance of the Library on Miller Center's 2nd floor.
Libro de musica de vihuela
(New York: Random House, 1935)
(Monachii [Munich], 1604)
Die Kunst der Fuge (Art of the Fugue) (Leipzig, 1752)