Proficiency Test for PCL 102
This proficiency test covers all material from the syllabus for PCL 102, and includes, but is not limited to, Chapters 5—8 (pp 175-355) of f Keyboard Musicianship, Book 1, by Lyke, Caramia, Haydon, and Chioldi (Stipes Music Publishing, 11th Edition, ISBN: 978-1-60904-745-0. Students who elect to take the proficiency must have a copy of this text—no duplicated material will be allowed.
Note: all playing—from scales to fundamental skills to repertoire—must be at a high musical level, with attention to proper pedaling, steady rhythm, and sensitivity to tonal color.
When you are ready to take this test, contact Professor Caramia (room 410; email@example.com)
NOTE: EVERYTHING listed below must be performed in order to pass this proficiency test.
- c, d, e, g, a, f, b harmonic minor scales and arpeggios, hands together, 2 octaves (fingerings; also in text on pp 359-361, bottom)
- play any mode (p. 306), 1 octave, hands separate or together, starting on any key, white or black
2) FUNDAMENTAL SKILLS:
- chord progressions (must be done with the sustaining pedal):
- p.200, middle of page: I-vi-IV-ii-I6/4-V7-I in 2 major keys other than C
- p.247, bottom of page: I-IV-V7/V7-V7-I in 2 major keys other than C (all 3 positions)
- p.294, middle of page: ii-V7-I; memorized
- 6 harmonizations (must be done with the sustaining pedal):
- pp 212-213: prepare 2 melodies, using appropriate harmonization styles
- pp 260-261: prepare 2 melodies, using appropriate harmonization styles
- pp 312-313: prepare 2 melodies, using appropriate harmonization styles
- 4 pieces from Keyboard Musicianship, Book 1:
- perform 1 solo piece from pp 186-193
- perform 1 solo piece from pp 234-241
- perform 1 solo piece from pp 280-289
- perform 1 solo piece from pp 336-347
- perform 1 other solo or duet piece not included in Keyboard Musicianship, Book 1