Proficiency Test for PCL 101
This proficiency test covers all material from the syllabus for PCL 101, and includes, but is not limited to, Chapters 1—4 (pp 1-173) of Keyboard Musicianship, Book 1, by Lyke, Caramia, Alexander (Stipes Music Publishing, Tenth Edition, 2014; ISBN: 978-1-60904-307-0). Students who elect to take the proficiency must use this text—no duplicated material will be allowed.
Note: all playing—from scales to fundamental skills to repertoire—must be at a high musical level, with attention to proper pedaling, steady rhythm, and sensitivity to tonal color.
When you are ready to take this test, contact Professor Caramia (room 410; email@example.com)
NOTE: EVERYTHING listed below must be performed in order
to pass this proficiency test.
- C, G, D, E, A, B and F major scales and arpeggios, hands together, 2 octaves
(fingerings; also in text on pp 365-367, bottom)
2) FUNDAMENTAL SKILLS:
- play the two melodies with pedal on p. 48
- harmonize any two melodies on pp 135-136, following the left hand example in measure 1
- harmonize the two of the melodies on p. 137, following suggestions on top of each melody
- harmonize one of the melodies on pp. 143-145, following the left hand example in measure 1
- play all melodies on pp 146-149; be able to transpose one (your choice)
- play By the Beautiful Sea (American Song Repertoire), pp 152-153
- harmonize #3 and #4 on p.173
- perform 2 pieces from pp 162-170
- perform a piece of your choice not included in Keyboard Musicianship, Book 1