Class Piano 105-106
PLEASE NOTE: This class is for Eastman students only.
For undergraduate Eastman students in the following majors: Music Education – General (non-pianists), Music Education – Vocal (non-pianists), Theory, and Composition. Also open to any other interested students who have completed PCL 104 or equivalent.
OBJECTIVES: to provide a more advanced level of keyboard instruction.
1) Technique: to be done in lab: up to 3#’s, 3b’s in 105, all keys in 106
- major scales; minor scales (3 forms), hands together, 4 octaves in 16th notes
- major and minor triad arpeggios, hands together, 4 octaves in 16th notes
- dom and dim 7th chord arpeggios, hands together, 2 octaves in 16th notes
- other technical exercises as needed
2) Keyboard Skills: to be done in lab
- Advanced Harmonization: see MUE related choral accompaniments; Sight Reading
- Accompaniments: Students are encouraged bring piano accompaniments from their major instruments to study.
3) Repertoire: to be covered in private lessons: a minimum of three (3) pieces per semester
- Baroque-Classic-Romantic in PCL 105
Romantic-Impressionistic-Contemporary in PCL 106
Etude: 1 (one); ex.: from Bertini (Op.100); Burgmuller (Op.100); Czerny; Heller (Opp.45, 47, 125); Waxman
- a required performance of repertoire at the end of the semester for both 105 and 106; each student’s TA is responsible for contacting another TA to attend the performance.
- 4 tests (scheduled throughout the semester), 3 on scales and the fourth on an etude
- attendance: one un-excused absence allowed