02.01 General Information
02.02 Accreditation
02.03 List of Degree Programs and Codes
02.04 Diversity
02.05 Registration and Enrollment
02.06 Academics
02.07 Confidentiality, Directory Information and Email
02.08 Instruction for Non-Eastman University of Rochester Students
02.09 Non-Matriculated Students
02.10 Student Financial Aid
02.12 Certificates and Diplomas
02.14 Mandatory Health Fee
02.15 Health Insurance
02.16 Student Health Insurance Options Process
02.17 Teacher Certification in New York State
02.18 Grievance Policy
02.19 Guidelines for Physical Contact During Lessons and Other Instructional Activities

02.01 General Information

It is the responsibility of the individual student to familiarize himself or herself with the announcements and regulations of the University published in official School publications such as the Academic Policy Handbook. The Eastman School Dean’s Office and Registrar’s Office also issue updated information throughout the year. While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of the information contained in publications, the University cannot guarantee its accuracy due to changes in announcements, teaching and administrative staff, and curricula and courses that may occur after publication date.

The Student Code of Conduct, which establishes standards, policies, and procedures for the disciplinary system, can be found at the following website: Questions should be addressed to the Assistant Dean for Student Life.

The Advisory Committee on Campus Safety will provide upon request all campus crime statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education.

The facilities of the School are for academic training and for rehearsals of School-related functions. Use of the facilities for any other purpose requires the permission of the Dean. Written permission must be obtained from the Concert Office, Dean’s Office, or Registrar’s Office for use of applied music studios, classrooms, offices, or auditoria. Unauthorized use or possession of music, records, books, recording and duplicating equipment, or other property of the School is forbidden.

For application and audition information please visit:

[back to top]

02.01.01 Mission Statement

The Eastman School of Music strives

  • to create a musical community that is rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity,
  • to give the student an intensive professional education in his or her musical discipline,
  • to prepare each student with a solid foundation in music and an expansive education in the liberal arts,
  • to develop an informed and inquiring mind that enables each graduate to engage the fundamental issues of his or her art and to become an effective cultural leader in society,
  • and, through its community and continuing education programs, to offer the highest quality music instruction and performance opportunities for students of all ages.

[back to top]

02.02 Accreditation

The Eastman School of Music is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and by the National Association of Schools of Music.

[back to top]

02.03 List of Degree Programs and Codes

Please see the Inventory of Registered Programs maintained by the Office of the Provost:

[back to top]

02.04 Diversity

The University of Rochester values diversity (see and is committed to equal opportunity for persons regardless of age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, military/veteran status, national origin, race, religion/creed, sex, sexual orientation or any other status protected by law. Further, the University complies with all applicable non-discrimination laws in the administration of its policies, admissions, employment, and access to and treatment in University programs and activities.

Questions on compliance should be directed to the particular school or department, to the Associate Dean for Student Life, and/or to a University Intercessor. For further information see:

[back to top]

02.05 Registration and Enrollment

02.05.01 Registration and Late Fees

Students are strongly encouraged to register for classes on-line as early as possible. Registration for the Spring semester usually begins in mid-November. Registration for the Fall semester usually begins in mid-April. New students register during orientation week in August. Students may not attend classes, take lessons, or participate in ensembles for which they have not registered. A late fee will be assessed each semester to any student who is not registered by the end of the second week of classes. This late fee will be charged in addition to any late payment fees that may be assessed by the University Bursar and applies to all registrations including inactive-status and continuation of enrollment.

Information about fees can also be found on the University Bursar’s Schedule of Tuition and Fees: (rev. 8/1/06)

[back to top]

02.05.02 Immunization Requirements

Prior to the first day of classes, all students are required to comply with New York State immunization requirements or risk administrative withdrawal. Please see University Policies – Immunization Requirements for complete details:

[back to top]

02.05.03 Drop/Add Period

Dropping Courses: Students may drop courses on-line through the end of the fourth week of the semester without instructor permission. The dropped courses will not appear on the academic transcript. Students may receive a partial refund based on the published tuition refund schedule:

Students may not drop a course after the fourth week of classes. Students who drop to fewer than 12 credits (or fewer than 9 credits for most graduate teaching assistants and departmental assistants) will be re-classified to part-time status, which may delay graduation for undergraduate students.

Full-time undergraduate students who, for extraordinary reasons, wish to carry fewer than 12 credits must receive approval from the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs. International students will also be required to get approval from the International Services Office before being permitted to carry less than a full-time course load. See: Reduced Course Load (RCL) Authorization Form  at (rev. January 2012)

Adding Courses: Students may add courses on-line through the fourth week of the semester. Instructor permission is not required to add a course during the first week of classes. During the second, third, and fourth weeks of the semester, students must obtain a permission code from the instructor or departmental secretary to add a course. A signature will also be accepted for in-person registration in the Registrar’s Office. A student wishing to add a course after the first four weeks must have approval from the course instructor and present a petition with the reasons for requesting a late change to the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs (undergraduates) or Associate Dean of Graduate Studies (graduate students). (rev. 8/1/05)

Seven-Week Courses: For courses that meet for half of the semester, the above time-line is reduced by half. (rev. 8/1/05)

[back to top]

02.05.04 Withdrawing from Courses

After the fourth week of classes, course withdrawals will be noted on the student’s academic transcript with a grade of W (withdrawn) or DE (withdrawn-failing) at the instructor’s discretion. Instructor permission is required to withdraw from a class. Course withdrawals are not permitted after the 12th week of classes. Precise deadlines for dropping and withdrawing from courses are indicated on the official school calendar prepared by the registrar: Current Detailed Eastman Academic Calendar Tuition refunds, if any, will be made in accordance the stated refund schedule.

If a student wishing to drop or withdraw from a course is suspected by the professor of having violated the School’s policy on academic integrity in connection with that course, the professor has the right to refuse to permit the student to drop the course as long as the case is under investigation. If, as a result of the investigation, it is found that the student is not guilty of the violation, she or he may drop the course without penalty even after the deadline for such withdrawal.

Seven-Week Courses: For courses that meet for half of the semester, the above time-line is reduced by half. (rev. 8/1/05)

[back to top]

02.05.05 Auditing a Course

Students may register to audit certain courses that are not required in their degree programs. Courses that require the registrant’s active participation (e.g., ensembles, opera theater, applied music instruction) are not appropriate for audit registration. In all other courses, auditors may contribute to class discussion at the discretion of the professor; however, no class work will be evaluated by the instructor. Auditors will receive neither grade nor credit for the audited course. The fee for audit registration is listed on the University Bursar’s Office Schedule of Tuition & Fees

Permission to audit must be obtained in writing from the instructor, and any change of registration from credit to audit (or vice versa) must be accomplished before the end of the fourth week of classes. Before student audit status is approved, the prospective auditor must reach agreement with the professor of the course to be audited concerning attendance or other expectations to be met by the student. If these expectations are not met, the instructor may request that the audit designation be removed from the student’s transcript. (revised 05/2017)

[back to top]

02.05.06 Status by Division and Class

Undergraduate Students: pursuing the Bachelor of Music degree. Class-year = 2007, 2008, 2009, Take 5, etc…

  • First-Year: normally semesters 1 & 2
  • Sophomore: normally semesters 3 & 4
  • Junior: normally semesters 5 & 6
  • Senior: normally semesters 7 & 8
  • FORTE: 9th semester for some undergraduate music education double majors with departmental approval.
  • Take Five Scholars Program: tuition-free fifth year provides students with opportunities to explore additional disciplines and courses. A special application is required. Class-year = T5.
  • On-Completion: students completing degree requirements after the 8th semester of study
  • Degree Pending: student has completed all requirements, registered for inactive status for the term prior to commencement

Graduate students: Pursuing the master of music degree, the master of arts degree in music, the doctor of philosophy degree in music, or the doctor of musical arts degree.

  • Class-year = G.


  • Undergraduate: class-year = NU.
  • Graduate: class-year = NG.
  • Community Education Division (undergraduate or graduate): class-year = CE

[back to top]

02.05.07 Time Status

Full-Time Status (F):

Students who are registered for a full-time course load are considered to have full-time student status. A full-time course load consists of:

  • twelve credits per semester (6 during summer session), or
  • nine credits for students holding a graduate assistantship
  • Graduate students registered for ESM 999: Continuation of Graduate Enrollment and undergraduates registered for ESM 399: Continuation of Undergraduate Enrollment are also considered to be full-time students regardless of credit load. Restrictions apply to these registrations. See the course descriptions under “Special Enrollments” for more information.

Part-Time Status (P):

  • Students registered for fewer than 12 credits (fewer than 6 during summer session). Registration in ESM 995: Continuation of Graduate Enrollment carries part-time status.

Inactive Status (X):

  • Undergraduate students in this category are those registered for ESM 385: Undergraduate Inactive Status.
  • Graduate students in this category must register for ESM 985: Graduate Inactive Status.

[back to top]

02.05.08 Changes to Enrollment Status

Policy on Refunds of Student Charges for Change of Status Inactive Status

A student may find it necessary to leave the School for a period of time and then return for normal studies. The student must meet with the appropriate Dean’s office and get approved for this leave. After consultation with the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs (undergraduates) or the Graduate Studies Office (graduate students), a student may be approved for inactive status. Should a student begin an inactive status during the school year, reimbursement of tuition and pro-ration of institutional grants/scholarships shall be made on the same basis as that of a withdrawing student. See refund schedule:  Students who are subsequently approved for a medical leave of absence by the University Health Service within a reasonable time frame of their initial change of status will be eligible for a medical override of the published schedule of refunds.  Students receiving a medical override are entitled to a 10% increase of the published refund rate, with a corresponding adjustment to institutional grants/scholarships.  Medical overrides do not apply to Federal Title IV aid refunds, which is determined per the policy referenced above. When you apply for a medical leave of absence your financial aid will be reviewed. If you will not be able to complete your degree, due to an approved medical leave, within 8 total semesters (10 semesters for dual degree students) you will be granted an additional semester of institutional scholarship (a 9th semester for an Eastman only student and an 11th semester for a dual degree student).

A student may not matriculate (enroll as a degree candidate) at another institution while on inactive status at Eastman. Students who wish to matriculate elsewhere must withdraw from Eastman and, should they wish to return to the School to complete their degree, must apply for readmission. Students who do not register for classes at the conclusion of their approved inactive period may be required to reapply for admission. Refer to the University Bursar’s Office Schedule of Tuition & Fees: for inactive status fees and late registration fees.

Undergraduate students on inactive status for four (4) or fewer semesters remain in good standing. If a student is on inactive status for more than four (4) semesters for any reason, they will be required to reapply for admission to Eastman through the Office of Admissions and re-audition for studio placement. Students readmitted to a degree will be required to fulfill the requirements in their program of study that are in place at the time of their readmission. A readmitted student will have their merit award calculated based on the admissions process and their audition that year regardless of their merit award from prior years.  Exceptions to this policy will be considered by petition to the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs on a case-by-case basis.

Also see:

(Special Enrollments)

(Re-admission to the Undergraduate Degree Program)

(Reinstatement to Graduate Degree Program)

(Continuous Undergraduate Registration)

(Continuous Graduate Registration)

[back to top] Withdrawal From the Eastman School

Students who wish to withdraw from the School for any reason should consult the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and file the request in writing. This will be the only manner of withdrawal considered official. The date of withdrawal will be the date that the student officially withdraws or is withdrawn by the School, or the last date of attendance, whichever is earliest.

If a student withdraws during the school year, any applicable reimbursement of tuition shall be made based on the date of withdrawal according to the published schedule of refunds:  Students who are administratively withdrawn for reasons of academic or non-academic misconduct will not receive a tuition refund and institutional grants and scholarships will not be reduced.  Federal financial aid will still be refunded per the policy outlined above based on the date of withdrawal.

A withdrawal from the Eastman School after the fourth full week of classes will be noted on the student’s academic record as either a “W” (withdrawn) or a “DE” (withdrawn failing).

[back to top]

02.05.09 Enrollment Verification

Students needing verification or confirmation of their enrollment status with the University for: health insurance, student loan deferment, or credit purposes, may request an Enrollment Verification through one of two options below.

Through a partnership with the National Student Clearinghouse, the Eastman School of Music provides instant and official Enrollment Verification. If you graduated in or after 1986, please print your verification instantly through the National Student Clearing House. To obtain a Student ID# or PIN, call (585) 274-1220.

If you graduated before 1986, please print the Enrollment/Degree Verification Form and send it to us. If you are unable to print the form, fax the following information:

  • Last name, first name and date of birth
  • Daytime phone number and email address
  • University ID or Social Security Number
  • Classification (Undergraduate, Graduate or Non-matriculated)
  • Degree program(s) and award date(s)
  • Indicate pickup date, mailing address or fax number
  • Enrollment period needing verification
  • Anticipated date of graduation
  • Signature

Production time for enrollment verifications is 3 – 5 business days once the request is received. There is no cost for enrollment verifications. Please note that enrollment can only be verified for the actual term in which a student is registered. Verification of future enrollment or class registration can not be issued until actual registration occurs and the National Student Clearinghouse is notified of student registration.

[back to top] Degree Verifications

For degree verifications please print the Enrollment/Degree Verification Form and send it to us. Production time for degree verifications is 3 – 5 business days once the request is received. There is no cost for degree verifications.

Good Academic Standing

A matriculated student is considered to be in good academic standing while enrolled at the Eastman School of Music. That standing is not normally terminated until the student completes his or her degree, withdraws from the School, or is separated for academic or disciplinary reasons. If the student is on probation or disciplinary action has been taken which does not, however, separate him or her from the University, the student is still considered to be in good standing for the purpose of verifying enrollment to a third party. It should be noted that “in good standing” does not necessarily mean the student is making satisfactory academic progress. The student is in good standing as long as he/she is eligible to register next term. Verification of good academic standing is intended to permit the student to apply for appropriate financial aid, insurance, or other third party benefits or considerations that may be dependent upon good academic standing. Good academic standing does not exclude the possibility that the individual can be terminated if their performance does not improve.

[back to top]

02.05.10 Considerations for International Students

In order to maintain their visa status, international student who are studying in the U.S. on an F-1 or J-1 student visa must register for a full course-load each semester until the completion of their program. Full-time enrollment is defined here: 02.05.07 Time Status.

Certain exceptions may be available for one semester only to students who are experiencing language difficulties or are in their final semester. Please contact the International Services Office at (585) 275-2866, or consult the following website for further information:

[back to top] English Language Requirements

Students are required to have adequate preparation in English before beginning study at Eastman. All applicants whose native language is not English should submit evidence of English proficiency by means of scores obtained on the “Test of English as a Foreign Language” (TOEFL). To aid in the assessment of English language skills, the Eastman School has set the following minimum scores on the iBT (internet-based test): 83 for undergraduate, 88 for master’s degree applicants, and 100 for doctoral applicants. Applicants to DMA and MA/PhD programs will be held to a higher standard because of the demands of their degree programs. Information on the TOEFL program may be obtained by visiting the TOEFL website:

[back to top]

02.06 Academics

02.06.01 Academic Advising

Students are responsible for planning that ensures completion of all degree requirements as outlined in their program of study. The student is urged to seek advice on these matters from his/her assigned advisor(s). The name of each student’s academic advisor is noted in the information packet distributed to the student during orientation. This information is also available in UR-Access-Plus. The Associate Dean of Graduate Studies, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, the student’s major applied teacher, and/or the student’s department chair also are available for counseling concerning various career opportunities, the student’s professional aspirations, and ways in which the student’s time at Eastman can be most productively used in preparation for professional life. New first-years are required to attend a group advising session, or obtain their advisor’s signature before registering for their first and second semesters of study. Undergraduate music education majors must also have their course selections approved by their advisor every semester until degree completion. (rev. 8/1/05)

[back to top]

02.06.02 Attendance

Attendance in classes is considered to be a crucial part of the learning process, and is required of all students. Attendance policies for courses and ensembles are determined and managed by the faculty and departments. Please refer to individual course syllabi and section 04.11 Absence Policy for further information.

[back to top]

02.06.03 Independent Studies

Students may seek approval to undertake a research or performance project for academic credit on an “independent study” basis. All such projects are similar in that they cannot be completed by the student as part of an existing class but could potentially be completed by the student working on an independent basis with guidance from a faculty advisor.

Permission to undertake an independent study project is a privilege granted to students who have demonstrated their ability to work with little supervision. The student wishing to undertake the project must develop a written proposal and secure approval of the proposal by the potential faculty advisor of the project. The proposal should be two or three pages long and, in developing it, the student may wish to consult with the potential faculty advisor about what it should contain (a bibliography, for example).

This proposal, as well as the completed Independent Study Form must be reviewed and approved by the faculty advisor, chair of the department and the appropriate Dean. (For undergraduates this would be Asst. Dean of Academic Affairs; for graduate students, the Assoc. Dean of Graduate Studies.) The appropriate Dean will determine if the number of credits associated with the independent study proposal is consistent with the rigor of the course. The project normally results in a paper and/or performance by the student. The actual registration will be made under the appropriate subject heading (ENG, HUM, TH) and numbered 290 (undergraduate), 490 (master’s), or 590 (doctoral). Normal tuition charges apply to independent studies.

Students are encouraged to submit their independent study proposals to the appropriate Dean’s office in the semester prior to registering for the project. However, students MUST submit their proposals no later than the Friday of the 2nd week of classes. If a proposal is received after the deadline, the student must wait until the subsequent semester to register for the project. Exceptions to the deadline may be granted by the appropriate Dean’s office.

Please note that an independent study is different from an internship or practicum.

[back to top]

02.06.04 Secondary Lessons for Eastman Students

Secondary lessons (1/2 hour lessons) are required by some degree programs at Eastman. Students with a curricular requirement will have first priority for enrollment in secondary studio lessons. Other students take secondary lessons as elective study; they may enroll for secondary lessons on one instrument or voice per semester on a space-available basis if they have demonstrated intermediate skill level on the desired secondary instrument or voice, and have obtained the approval and signature of their advisor and the Office of Academic Affairs. Undergraduate students may take secondary piano lessons only if they have completed their piano class requirement.

[back to top]

02.06.05 Change of Major

Changes in major must be requested through the Office of Academic Affairs and will be approved only on the recommendation of the relevant department(s).

[back to top]

02.06.06 Courses at Other Schools within the University of Rochester

Eastman students are eligible to take courses at other divisions within the University of Rochester, provided the courses do not conflict with the student’s obligations at Eastman and any applicable prerequisites have been satisfied. Students do not need to be enrolled in dual degree programs in order to broaden their studies in this manner; however, they should follow the registration policies and procedures set by the other School or College when registering for such courses.

Transportation to River Campus

Free University shuttle buses run frequently throughout the day between the Eastman School and the River Campus. Classes on the two campuses are on different schedules. Thus, it may be possible to leave a class on one campus and arrive on the other campus in time for the next class. Students should consult the bus schedule and plan their course selection carefully in order to allow for travel time between the two campuses.

[back to top]

02.06.07 Special Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

Students with medically documented disabilities should contact the Disability Access Coordinator in the Office of Academic Affairs at least seven days prior to their arrival at Eastman to make appropriate arrangements. Students with disabilities are encouraged to assess their needs realistically, to take advantage of appropriate support, and to be clear and precise about gaining assistance. Additional information is available here.

[back to top]

02.06.08 Assessments and Grading Juries and Recitals

Assessments of the student’s performance progress are required in many Eastman degree programs.

One manner in which these assessments are made is through an annual performance jury. Most juries are conducted during jury week near the end of the spring semester, and no classes, ensemble rehearsals, or other activities are held during this time.  Students should contact their primary instructor or department chair for details regarding their specific jury requirements, and they will receive a pass/fail grade for their jury, which will be notated on their transcript, plus additional written feedback from their respective departmental faculty.

Degree recitals are the required capstone activity typically presented near the end of a student’s program of study.  Requirements for degree recitals vary by program and department, so students are encouraged to review their departmental handbooks and/or consult with their department chair and applied teacher in regard to specific requirement for their major.

For all juries and degree recitals, the expectation is that the program being presented has not been performed on a prior jury or degree recital, either at Eastman or a previous institution.  Any exception to this policy must be approved, in advance, by the Office of Academic Affairs.

Students who are seriously ill or who have other extenuating circumstances which preclude them from performing a jury or recital must notify the Office of Academic Affairs and petition for an exception.  If an exception is not granted, or the student fails to submit the request in a reasonable timeframe in advance of the scheduled performance, they are expected to perform or else they will receive a failing grade.  Students who receive a failing grade for a required jury or recital must complete another jury or recital the following semester or they will face dismissal from Eastman (see Jury Probation for undergraduate students or 6.01.03 Graduate Juries for graduate students).

[back to top] Examinations

In classroom subjects, examinations and quizzes are given from time to time throughout the semester at the discretion of the instructor. Final examinations are scheduled at the end of each semester for most of these courses and have significant influence on final grades. All students must be available to take these examinations throughout the announced examination period. Special examinations for individual students at times other than those which are announced will be provided only under extraordinary circumstances, such as death or serious illness in the immediate family or significant professional opportunities. In such cases, the student must submit a written request for a special examination to the Office of Academic Affairs with an attached letter or document verifying the circumstances that will require his or her absence. This request must be submitted no less than seven days before the last day of classes except in emergency circumstances. The Associate Dean of Academic and International Affairs will review such requests in consultation with the appropriate faculty members.

At the conclusion of the fall and spring semesters, a reading day is scheduled to give students the time to prepare for final exams and/or complete outstanding academic coursework.  Faculty members are not permitted to schedule final examinations, meetings, performances, rehearsals, or other required activities on a reading day.  In addition, students and student organizations are not permitted to schedule performances or hold required activities on a reading day.  In rare cases, exceptions to this policy may be granted by the Senior Associate Dean of Academic and Student Affairs.

[back to top]

02.06.09 Incomplete Grades

A grade of incomplete (I) will be assigned when a student, due to serious illness or other similar incapacitating circumstances, is unable to complete all course requirements within the prescribed period and receives the instructor’s permission to complete certain requirements at a later date, not to extend beyond the end of the next academic session. (Summer session will be considered the next session only if the student is in attendance during the summer). Before the end of the examination period of the semester during which the “incomplete” is to be given, the student will negotiate with the instructor a mutually acceptable method for completing the class work, and an agreement signed by the student and the instructor outlining the agreed-upon method must be submitted to the Registrar. The instructor has the option of specifying an alternate grade, other than a failing grade, that will be awarded to the student if the remaining work is not submitted by the agreed upon date. If no alternate grade is specified, and if the student does not complete the outstanding work in the specified time, a failing grade will be recorded. The final grade, once recorded, will replace the “I” on the official transcript. Students with outstanding incompletes on their records are ineligible for Dean’s List and Graduation honors.

Request an “Incomplete” grade:



[back to top]

02.06.10 Academic Transcripts, Grade Reports, Diplomas

Academic Transcripts

All transcripts must ordered through the National Student Clearinghouse system.

Click here for detailed directions and log in information:

Grade Reports

Students may view their grades via Blackboard: Net-ID (Username) and password are required for access to Blackboard.


Diplomas will be awarded to students who have completed all degree requirements and whose degree has been officially conferred by the University trustees. The student must complete the Degree Application form: to notify the Registrar’s Office that they intend to graduate. If a student does not attend commencement ceremonies, the diploma may be mailed or made available for the student to pick up in person. Replacement diplomas may be produced for a fee.

[back to top]

02.06.11 Degree Audits for BM, MM, and MA students


What is a degree audit?

A degree audit is an analysis that enables the student and his/her adviser to assess the student’s academic progress and unfulfilled degree requirements. The audit is a valuable tool for academic planning and course selection, because it matches the courses that the student has taken with the requirements of his/her degree program. Audits are available for anyone who is enrolled at the Eastman School in a Bachelor of Music, Master of Music, or Master of Arts degree program. Audit data is refreshed once daily. So, if the student adds or drops a course today, the change won’t appear in the audit until the next day. The degree audit is not the student’s official academic record. The transcript is the official record of completed work. How do I get a current degree audit?

Instructions for running a current degree Audit using DARS.

1.) Click on VIEW MY DEGREE AUDIT above.

2.) Sign in using your Net ID and password.

3.) Click on “Audits” in the upper left hand corner.

4.) Click on “Request New Audit”.

5.) If’s not selected already, select “run default program listed” on the left side of the screen.

6.) Click on “submit a new audit” at the bottom of the screen. The audit will take about 30 seconds to run.

7.) After about 30 seconds, the audit job should appear in the queue. If it doesn’t, click on the refresh list link in the middle of the screen.

8.) Click on “open audit” to view the audit. Please note that the graphical representations of hours and GPA are not populated at this time. The audit includes an explanation of how to interpret the report.

9.) Dual degree students and students with two majors will receive two audit reports; one for each program.

10.) All variations from stated degree and major requirements must be documented by the appropriate dean, department chair, or faculty member.

[back to top]

02.07 Confidentiality, Directory Information and Email

02.07.01 Confidentiality of Student Records

The University of Rochester complies fully with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), 20 U.S.C. 1232g. Under FERPA students have, with certain limited exceptions, the right to inspect and review their educational records and to request the amendment of their records to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights. Requests to inspect or review records should be addressed to the registrar, or to the appropriate administrator responsible for the record and will be honored within 45 days. Any student questioning the accuracy of any record may state his or her objection in writing to the University administrator responsible for the record, who will notify the student of his or her decision within 45 days of receiving the objection. A student dissatisfied with the administrator’s decision may request a hearing pursuant to federal regulations at 34 C.F.R. Part 99. Students concerned with the University’s compliance with FERPA have the right to file complaints with the U.S. Department of Education’s Family Compliance Office.

FERPA further requires, again with certain limited exceptions, that the student’s consent must be obtained before disclosing any personally identifiable information in the student’s education records. One such exception is disclosure to parents of dependent students. Another exception is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests, on a “need-to-know” basis, as determined by the administrator responsible for the file. A “school official” includes anyone employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); any person or company acting on behalf of the University (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); any member of the Board of Trustees or other governance/advisory body; and any student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. The University will also furnish information from education records to other agencies or institutions that have requested the information, and in which the student seeks or intends to enroll or is already enrolled, so long as the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer. Other exceptions are described in the FERPA statute at 20 U.S.C. 1232g and regulations at 34 C.F.R. Part 99.


[back to top]

02.07.02 Directory Information

The University considers the following to be directory information: name, campus address, e-mail address, home address, telephone number, date and place of birth, academic fields of study, current enrollment (full or part-time), dates of attendance, photographs, participation in recognized activities and sports, degrees and awards, weight and height of athletic team members, previous educational agencies or institutions attended, and other similar information. The University may publicize or respond to requests for such information at its discretion. However, the use of the records for commercial or political purposes is prohibited unless approved by the appropriate Dean.

Currently enrolled students may request that directory information be withheld from disclosure by making a request, in writing, to the Eastman Registrar. The University assumes that failure on the part of the student to specifically request the withholding of any directory information indicates approval of disclosure.

[back to top]

02.07.03 Email as Official Means of Communication with Students

The Eastman School of Music provides students with an email account upon matriculation. The cost of the email account is included in the student comprehensive fee. Students can expect to receive official information regarding deadlines, policy/procedure changes, changes in degree requirements, special events, course schedule changes, regulatory changes, emergency notices, as well as other helpful information. Official announcements are sent to the University assigned email address only. Official messages will not be sent to other email addresses.

Students are responsible for all information sent to them via their University of Rochester email account. It is expected that such communications will be received and read in a timely fashion. It is important for Eastman students to understand that most information will be communicated to them via their University assigned account while they are students. If a student chooses to forward their University email to a non-University account, he or she is responsible for all information, including attachments and links, sent to any other email account.

[back to top]

02.08 Instruction for Non-Eastman University of Rochester Students

02.08.01 Private Lesson Instruction Eligibility

Any University of Rochester student not currently enrolled in an Eastman degree may request secondary instrumental or vocal lessons at Eastman. Such requests will be approved if the student passes an audition demonstrating at least an intermediate skill level on their instrument or voice, and if sufficient studio space is available.

Secondary lessons are available on the following instruments: bassoon, cello, clarinet, double bass, euphonium, flute, classical or jazz guitar, harp, harpsichord, horn, oboe, organ, percussion, piano, saxophone, trombone, trumpet, tuba, viola, violin, and voice.

Secondary lessons are usually 1/2-hour lessons taught by graduate teaching assistants (TAs). Upon special request to the Associate Dean of Academic and Student Affairs of the Eastman School, a student may be allowed to register for “primary,” one-hour lessons.

Any student who takes Eastman lessons must show evidence of progress and accomplishment by playing a jury or its equivalent each spring.

Students may take as many as 8 semesters of secondary lessons with graduate TAs. Exceptional students who place into faculty studios may take up to 4 semesters of secondary lessons in those studios. BA music majors may have up to 8 semesters of secondary (1/2-hour) lessons in faculty studios (or 4 semesters of primary lessons).

[back to top] Registration Process

Any student requesting Eastman lessons for the first time must obtain an audition form from the College Music Department–Todd 207. The student will be informed of the appropriate Eastman auditioner’s name, phone number and the date, time and place of the audition.

The audition will be the basis for placing students with a graduate teaching assistant, class instruction, or in exceptional cases in a studio with an Eastman faculty.

A student auditioning below the intermediate level will not be eligible for collegiate instruction. He/she will be recommended to the Eastman Community Music School (ECMS). Note that lessons taken through the Eastman Community Music School do not earn collegiate credit. Students who pass the audition will be given a permission code, which will enable them to register for their secondary lessons via the online registration system.

Any student who is taking secondary lessons during the fall semester of an academic year may pre-register for the spring semester during the appropriate pre-registration period.

All returning students for Eastman secondary lessons must pre-register during the spring semester for “secondary staff” instruction during the next fall semester.

[back to top] Student Responsibilities

The Eastman auditioner will inform the student of the name and phone number of the teaching assistant (TA) to whom he/she is assigned. The student must contact the TA as soon as possible to arrange for a mutually agreeable weekly lesson time so that lessons may begin as soon as possible in the semester.

In the event of an absence, the student must give the TA advanced notice, whenever possible. Rescheduling of a weekly lesson time should be kept to a minimum and is at the discretion and availability of the instructor.

The student is responsible for weekly lesson preparation, and for abiding by any applicable syllabus requirements.

If a student has concerns about missed lessons, quality of instruction, or any other lesson-related issues, he/she should contact the College Music Department at (585) 275-9397.

[back to top]

02.08.02 Other Courses

Students of other schools of the University of Rochester are eligible to take Eastman courses on a space-available basis if they have satisfied the appropriate course prerequisites. Students in Eastman degree programs are given priority in registration for all Eastman courses, and thus no assurance can be given that there will be space available to other University of Rochester students in any given course.

[back to top]

02.09 Non-Matriculated Students

02.09.01 Eligibility and Application Procedures

Non-matriculated students are those who are not candidates for a degree at the Eastman School of Music and/or the University of Rochester, but who are enrolled at the School for one or more courses carrying credit. A limited number of applicants may be eligible for non-matriculated enrollment status at the School.  This status may be granted to (1) Conservatory Exchange students (see; (2) Eastman alumni; (3) Eastman faculty and staff who meet the criteria stated below; (4) previously enrolled non-matriculated students; or (5) applicants accepted by special permission.

The following information applies to non-matriculated applicants for study during the fall and/or spring semesters only. Non-matriculated students may enroll for summer programs through the Summer Session office without review or approval through Academic Affairs.

The resources of the School (instruction, performance opportunities, facilities, etc.) usually are made available only to its degree candidates and to students enrolled in the Community Music School. Non-matriculated are given access to these resources only when it can be ascertained that degree candidates and Community Music School students are enrolled for the instruction they desire and that the addition of non-matriculated students to the enrollment will be in the best interest of the regular students and the faculty.

Students interested in pursuing educational opportunities as non-matriculated students should first contact the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and submit their application.  Interested students should not contact faculty members until they have been granted permission to take a course.  The decision to accept a non-matriculated student is made by the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs in consideration of a completed application and the availability of the School’s resources. Acceptance is for one semester only, although an extension of enrollment as a non-matriculated student is normal for Conservatory Exchange Students and may be requested by others. The Associate Dean of Academic Affairs will act as advisor to all students in this category.

Non-matriculated students may choose to audit a course or take a course for credit.  Audits will be granted only in non-performance-based courses.  Due to the specialized nature of programs offered by the Eastman School of Music, students interested in taking a course for credit must demonstrate sufficient musical background necessary for the coursework for which they are applying. Placement in music history or theory courses will be on the basis of tests administered at the beginning of each semester by those departments. Applied music study will be granted only in consideration of results of an audition and the availability of space in applied studios.  Interested applicants should consult the Associate Dean of Academic and Student Affairs for additional information regarding possibilities for applied study.  (Please refer to Audition Repertory for details: Undergraduate Audition Repertoire and Graduate Audition Repertoire )

Non-matriculated students taking undergraduate courses must have a high school diploma, GED, or other documentation of college preparation. If a prospective student does not have sufficient academic and/or musical background to enroll at the collegiate level, and is not seeking college credit, s/he will be referred to the Eastman Community Music School at (585) 274-1400 or

Application and Tuition

An individual interested in attending the Eastman School of Music as a non-matriculated student must complete an application form and submit it to the Office of Academic Affairs. The deadline for applications for fall semester is August 1; the deadline for spring semester is December 1.

In the majority of cases, it may not be possible to verify acceptance of non-matriculated students until after the beginning of the term during which instruction is desired because enrollment priority must be given to matriculated students. The applicant must maintain contact with the Office of Academic Affairs to learn of the decision regarding acceptance.

Please note that tuition charges for non-matriculated students will be calculated on a per-credit basis. For specific costs, consult the Bursar’s information at:

[back to top]

02.10 Student Financial Aid

02.10.01 Minimum Requirements for Merit-Based Financial Aid

See section 04.13.01 Minimum Standards for satisfactory academic progress

02.10.02 Change of Registration Status (and Impact on Financial Aid)

Official withdrawal dates, inactive dates, and other changes of status (i.e., full-time to part-time) are, for purposes of determining account balances and financial aid, determined when a student formally changes his or her status with the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs (undergraduates) or the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies (graduates). The date of withdrawal will be the date that the student officially withdraws or is withdrawn by the School, or the last date of attendance, whichever is earliest. The official “Change of Status” form, which is initiated by the student, alerts the Registrar’s, Bursar’s, Financial Aid Offices, and other appropriate offices at the University to adjust the student’s account.

Federal regulations determine how the Financial Aid Office calculates the adjustments to financial aid awards to reflect reduced tuition and fees. These regulations do not permit us to prorate aid in the same manner that charges are assessed. Essentially, any credit balance created by reduced charges must first be used to repay federal aid, next to state aid, third to the institution’s aid program, and then to the student.

  • Undergraduate students requesting a reclassification to/from full-time, part-time, or inactive status, must obtain change-of-status approval in advance from the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs.
  • Graduate students do not require permission to change to/from full-time/part-time, but are strongly encouraged to consult with their academic advisor and Financial Aid first
  • Graduate students must obtain approval from the Graduate Dean before they will be allowed to register for inactive status.
  • All students who wish to withdraw from the Eastman School of Music should consult first with the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs.
  • Because international students are required to carry a full-time load, they must first receive approval for the International student Office before they will be permitted to drop any coursework that might reduce their load to less than full-time.

[back to top]

02.10.03 Requests for Additional Financial Assistance

Circumstances may arise requiring a currently enrolled student to apply for financial assistance after beginning his or her studies. Such application must be submitted annually to the director of financial aid. Financial assistance awarded to continuing students is based primarily on evidence of financial need.

[back to top]

02.12 Certificates and Diplomas

Contact the Office of Academic Affairs for further information at (585) 274-1020 or at:

[back to top]

02.14 Mandatory Health Fee

All full-time students pay the mandatory health fee which enrolls them in the Student Health Program, a prepaid health care program for University of Rochester full-time students. The mandatory health fee covers the cost of visits with physicians, nurse practitioners, and nurses at the University Health Service medical offices and to the therapists at the University Counseling Center throughout the academic year as long as the student remains enrolled as a full-time student. This fee is charged on the student’s billing statement and cannot be waived. More information about the services covered is available on the UHS website at

[back to top]

02.15 Health Insurance

In addition to the mandatory health fee, all full-time students must have health insurance coverage. Students can enroll in the health insurance plan offered by the University Health Service or waive the insurance if their health insurance plan meets University criteria. Students who waive the University’s health insurance are responsible for paying any charges which the University’s health plan would have covered. For more information about health insurance, check Health Insurance for Full-time Students on the UHS website (

[back to top]

02.16 Student Health Insurance Options Process

02.16 Health Insurance

All full-time students pay the mandatory health fee, which covers visits to the University Health Service and the University Counseling Center (UCC). In addition, all full-time students must have health insurance. Each year students must complete the Online Health Insurance Process to document their insurance coverage. Students can enroll in the University-sponsored health insurance, or they can waive the insurance if their insurance plan meets University criteria. The link to the Online Health Insurance Process is in Quick Links box on the UHS web site ( Before completing the Online Health Insurance Process, please review the University criteria and the information in Health Insurance for Full-time Students on the UHS web site. Students who enroll in the University-sponsored insurance plan can also enroll their spouse/domestic partner and their dependent children. Fees are listed in Health Insurance for Families on the UHS web site.

For more information about the services covered by the mandatory health fee and health insurance, check Services for Full-time Students on the UHS web site. If you have questions about health insurance, send an e-mail message to for assistance. Please include your student ID and date of birth in your message.

[back to top]

02.17 Teacher Certification in New York State

There are several degree programs at Eastman that can lead to the New York State Teacher Certification in Music. Much of the responsibility for obtaining certification resides with the student.

BM Music Education General BM-MEG Program Code: 23682 MM Music Education General MM-MEG Program Code: 32498 MA Music Education General MA-MEG Program Code: 32497
BM Music Education Instrumental BM-MEI Program Code: 23682 MM Music Education Instrumental MM-MEI Program Code: 32498 MA Music Education Instrumental MA-MEI Program Code: 32497
BM Music Education Vocal BM-MEV Program Code: 23682 MM Music Education Vocal MM-MEV Program Code: 32498 MA Music Education Vocal MA-MEV Program Code: 32497

There are several degree programs at Eastman that can lead to New York State Teacher Certification in Music. Much of the responsibility for obtaining certification resides with the student.


The Department of Music Teaching and Learning will provide students with the following:

  1. Appropriate coursework and advising;
  2. State Mandated Workshops offered prior to the academic year you will be student teaching;
  3. Two supervised student teaching placements, one in a setting that includes K-6th grade students and another in a setting that includes 7th-12th grade students.


Upon successful completion of required coursework, the Sophomore Review (undergraduate students), the Pre-Internship Review, attendance at the State Mandated Workshops, and student teaching, the registrar will recommend the student for initial certification (undergraduate students) or initial plus professional certification (graduate students) on the New York State Education Department TEACH website.


It is fully the student’s responsibility to:

  1. Create a TEACH online account ( The registrar’s recommendation for certification, exam test scores, and fingerprint clearance are reported to your TEACH online account
  2. Register for and pass New York State Teacher Certification Examinations ( These are written examinations which we recommend you take in the last year of your program, after most coursework has been completed.
  3. Apply for and complete Fingerprint Clearance (
  4. Through your TEACH online account, apply and pay for the teaching certificate. To apply for teacher certification, a program code is needed. The program codes are as follows:
    1. BM-MEG, BM-MEI OR BM-MEV, the code is 23682
    2. MA-MEG, MA-MEI, or MA-MEV, the code is 32497
    3. MM-MEG, MM-MEI, or MM-MEV, the code is 32498


[back to top]

02.18 Grievance Policy

Students with complaints should initially seek resolution from the appropriate faculty or staff member who is directly involved. If this is not possible, or does not provide a satisfactory outcome, then the student may file a grievance by completing the online grievance form.

[back to top]

02.19 Guidelines for Physical Contact During Lessons and Other Instructional Activities

The Eastman School of Music strives to create an environment that is respectful and comfortable as well as nurturing and productive. We recognize that in the ordinary course of musical instruction, an instructor may believe that some physical contact could be helpful to convey a pedagogical idea.  In these cases, the following guidelines are intended to clarify safe and reasonable practices for interactions between music teachers and students.  To review the complete guidelines, please see

[back to top]

Policy Handbook Table of Contents Course Descriptions Index Registrar Home