Dean Rossi’s message following video release of Daniel Prude arrest

September 3, 2020

Dear Members of the Eastman Community,

I was horrified and saddened yesterday as I watched the video of the arrest of Daniel Prude, an unarmed Black man in custody of Rochester police. This heinous act, along with the many others which have become unacceptably familiar in our country, are an affront to all people who value human decency and fair and just treatment for all people.

I fully support and am grateful for the heartfelt and passionate message sent last night by President Mangelsdorf and admire her commitment to redoubling the University’s efforts to combat systemic racism.  We at Eastman have made the same commitment and, on the heels of the powerful report set to be released by the Eastman Action Commission on Racial Justice at the end of this month, I am emboldened, now more than ever, to lead our school in addressing and creating positive change regarding racial justice at Eastman and in our community.

As a reminder, the following University-wide support resources are available to every person in our Eastman community.

CARE Network Resource Center (University-wide for students)
https://www.rochester.edu/care/resource-center

University Counseling Center (University-wide for students)
(585) 275-3113—24 hours a day

University Faith Communities at the Interfaith Chapel (located on River Campus for University-wide students, faculty and staff)
(585) 275-4321

I encourage all members of our community to reach out in support of your friends and colleagues during these very difficult days.

Sincerely,

Jamal Rossi