We are pleased to announce that Summer@Eastman will be offering 55 programs, online workshops, and courses from June 26 to August 4, 2023. Several of these programs are designed for collegiate students who may register through UR Student. Eastman students and alumni taking an online course or week-long institute receive a $100 discount. Browse our website to see what’s in store!
New Programs, Online Workshops, and Formats:
- You Too Can Sing Gospel Music! – ONLINE (Crystal Sellers Battle)
- Alexander Technique: Weekend Intensive for Musicians and Music Educators (Katie Fittipaldi)
- Alexander Technique + Mobile Alignment for Musicians and Music Educators – ONLINE
- Mandolin Workshops: 3 levels (Ken Luk)
Returning Institutes (some after a few years’ hiatus):
- Eastman Viola Workshop (George Taylor, Katie Dey, Roberta Zalkind)
- Summer Organ Academy (David Higgs, Nathan Laube, Stephen Kennedy, William Porter, Caroline Robinson)
- Eastman Summer Tuba & Euphonium Institute (Scott Tegge & Mark Kellogg)
- MusiKinesis®: Dalcroze and More! (Monica Dale)
- The Pianist’s Guide to Dance Accompaniment (Yoshiko Arahata)
- Six-week online workshop OR one-week in-person institute
- MTL 402 Measurement and Evaluation (Alden Snell)
- MTL 465 Instrumental Methods and Techniques (Christopher Azzara)
- MTL 502 Curriculum Seminar (Philip Silvey)
- MHS 594 Haydn’s Sacred Music (Michael Ruhling)
- MHS 594 Music and Travel in the Long 19th Century– ONLINE (Stephen Armstrong)
- MHS 422 Music in the Renaissance (Michael Anderson)
- MHS 119 Music History in Review – ONLINE (Anthony LaLena)
- ML 413 Law and Music – ONLINE (Ari Solotoff)
- ML 410 Music Administration and Governance – ONLINE (Rachel Roberts)
- TH 400 Survey of Analytical Techniques (Matthew Brown)
- TH 401 Topics in Tonal Literature and Analysis (Matthew Brown)
- TH 118 Theory, Analysis, Musicianship Review II – ONLINE (Christian Birkness)
Classic Institutes and Online Workshops:
In addition to the programs listed above, we are accepting registrations for our classic institutes: Cello, Choral Conducting, Flute, Horn, Instrumental Methods and Techniques, Music Leadership, Music Preservation, Music Theory Online – APSI®, Saxophone, Trombone, and Trumpet. Several online workshops are also offered to singers, vocal teachers, and choral conductors: lyric diction (English, French, Spanish), repertoire (Spanish and South American), and vocal pedagogy.
Important note re. taking institutes or online workshops for credit:
New this year: any student wanting to take a noncredit institute for credit must contact the Graduate Studies Office and fill out an Independent Study Form with the help of the advising instructor.
Summer Doctoral Comprehensive Examinations:
Please contact Deanna Philips in the Graduate Office between May 1-5, 2023 to register.
Act quickly as spaces are limited!
Summer private lessons:
Please contact Dr. Sylvie Beaudette for procedures.
Collegiate courses’ deadline is June 1, 2023. Although our institutes’ and online workshops’ registration deadline is May 15, 2023, some institutes require audition material prior to this date: Artistic Flutist, Cello Institute, Horn Institute, Organ Academy, Trombone and Trumpet institutes. Others, such as the Choral Conducting and Saxophone institutes, require the students to first contact the instructor before registering. Please check these institutes’ web pages for application procedures.
For more information about all Summer@Eastman programs, please visit: https://summer.esm.rochester.edu/