DATES AND AUDITION OPTIONS
2024 Rochester Audition Dates: Friday, January 26th and Fridays, February 2, 9,16, and 23.
2024 Virtual Audition Option: Applicants should upload a video recording of their audition requirements within their application by February 1st.
PRE-SCREENING AND AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
There is no pre-screening required for undergraduate horn.
BM Audition Requirements:
- Any movement of a standard concerto, such as those by Mozart, Haydn, Gliere, R. Strauss, F. Strauss, Jacob, Beckel, etc.
- One selection from the standard or under-represented recital repertoire, such as Hindemith, Ewazen, Beethoven, Schumann, Cherubini, Dukas, Reynolds, Borroff, Likhuta, Brouwer, Raum, etc.
- Three etudes – choose from any of the following: Maxime-Alphonse Etudes, Books 3,4,5, or 6; Kling; Kopprasch; Neuling; Belloli; Gallay; Reynolds; Matosinhos; Bach; etc.
- Three to five orchestral excerpts from the standard or under-represented repertoire (Beethoven, Mahler, Brahms, Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Price, Still, Beach, etc.)
- One selection of the applicant’s choice [either notated or improvised] selected by the applicant to share the joy of horn playing and music making.
- Major scales, 2-3 octaves, in eighth notes at quarter note=112-126, and corresponding arpeggios, slurred and tongued
MM and DMA Pre-screening Requirements: By December 1st, all applicants seeking a final audition must upload a preliminary video pre-screening recording containing the following:
- 2 movements of contrasting concerti or contrasting recital repertoire (with or without piano accompaniment)
- 2-3 orchestral excerpts demonstrating contrasting styles, periods, and technical/musical attributes.
- One etude demonstrating technical accomplishment
- One etude demonstrating lyric expression and interpretive imagination
MM Final Audition Requirements:
Please prepare 2-3 selections from the traditional and contemporary solo repertoire (which may include unaccompanied repertoire) and orchestral excerpts from several eras and styles, demonstrating advanced technical and artistic development.
DMA Final Audition Requirements:
Please present a program of 30 minute duration drawn from solo, orchestral, and etude repertoire demonstrating superior standards of technical and musical development. Proficiency in natural horn is encouraged.