DATES AND AUDITION OPTIONS
2023 Rochester Audition Dates: January 27, February 3, 10, 17, 24
2023 Virtual Audition Option: Applicants should upload a video recording of their audition requirements within their application by February 1st.
PRE-SCREENING AND AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
There is no pre-screening required for undergraduate horn.
BM Audition Requirements:
- Any movement of a standard concerto, such as those by Mozart, Haydn, Gliere, R. Strauss, F. Strauss Jacob, etc.
- One selection from the standard recital repertoire, such as Hindemith, Ewazen, Beethoven, Schumann, Cherubini, Dukas, Reynolds, Borroff, Likuhta, Brouwer, etc.
- Three etudes – choose from any of the following: Maxime-Alphonse Etudes, Books 3, 4, 5, or 6; Kling; Kopprasch; Neuling; Belloli; Gallay; Reynolds; Matosinhos; Bach
- Three to five orchestral excerpts from the standard repertoire (Beethoven, Mahler, Brahms, Strauss, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovich, etc.)
- One selection of the applicant’s choice [either notated or improvised] selected by the applicant to share the joy of horn playing and music making.
- Major scales, 2-3 octaves, in eighth notes at quarter note=112-126, and corresponding arpeggios, slurred and tongued
MM and DMA pre-screening: By December 1st, all applicants seeking a final on-campus audition must upload a preliminary video pre-screening recording containing the following:
- 2 movements of contrasting concerti or contrasting recital repertoire (with or without piano accompaniment)
- 2-3 orchestral excerpts demonstrating contrasting styles, periods, and technical/musical attributes.
- One etude demonstrating technical accomplishment
- One etude demonstrating lyric expression and interpretive imagination
MM audition requirements:
Please prepare 2-3 selections from the traditional and contemporary solo repertoire (which may include unaccompanied repertoire) and orchestral excerpts from several eras and styles, demonstrating advanced technical and artistic development.
DMA audition requirements:
Please present a program of 30 minute duration drawn from solo, orchestral, and etude repertoire demonstrating superior standards of technical and musical development. Proficiency in natural horn is encouraged.