COVID-19 and the Eastman Admissions Process

The Eastman School of Music is committed to supporting our applicants and students during this difficult time.  Below you will find answers to some frequently-asked questions about how we are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic.

*******

For Admitted Students:

Has the response deadline for admitted students changed?

No, admitted graduate students are still asked to respond to their offers of admission by April 15, and undergraduate students by May 1. If you feel that you need an extension, please write to admissions@esm.rochester.edu to make that request, and provide details of the reason for the request, and how much additional time you are requesting. 

If you are planning to enroll at Eastman, but need some additional time to submit your enrollment deposit, please write admissions@esm.rochester.edu to let us know how much additional time you anticipate that you will need.

Can I defer my admission to a later date?

Requests for deferrals will be considered on a case-by-case basis. If you believe you must defer your enrollment, please write to admissions@esm.rochester.edu to explain the situation.  

My spring 2020 grades are being converted to Pass/Fail. Will this impact my offer of admission?

No. This is a very common practice at many schools for the Spring 2020 term as a result of COVID-19, and will not be held against you.  We will be looking to verify continued effort in your classes and fulfillment of your graduation requirements.

My family’s financial situation has changed significantly as a result of COVID-19, and it is impacting my ability to attend Eastman. What should I do?

Undergraduate applicants in this situation should write to the Office of Financial Aid (financialaid@esm.rochester.edu) to ask about submitting an appeal. Graduate applicants in this situation can write to the Eastman’s Graduate Studies Office (gdean@esm.rochester.edu.)  However, since Graduate Awards are merit-based rather than need-based, it is less likely that a Graduate Award will be changed as a result of this type of situation.

I am enrolling at Eastman, but I won’t be able to get my final transcript from my previous school by July 1st. Is this a problem?

Please communicate to the Office of Admissions (admissions@esm.rochester.edu) about when we can expect to receive your official final transcript, and do what you can to get it to us as close to July 1 as possible.  We understand that many school registrars and records office are experiencing closures and disruptions.  Transcripts delayed for this reason will not prevent you from starting your enrollment at Eastman.  Please note that transcripts can also be sent electronically to admissions@esm.rochester.edu.

I am an enrolling international student. Will I be able to get a student visa?

Soon after you complete the online response form to accept your offer of admission and submit your enrollment deposit, you will hear from Danielle Arnold, Assistant Director of Admissions, who will guide you through the steps you will need to complete to obtain your I-20 or DS-2019 (statement of sponsorship required to obtain your student visa).  We remain optimistic that it will be possible for international students to follow the normal timeline for obtaining student visas and traveling to campus. However, we are following developments that could affect international students closely, and will stay in contact with enrolling students who may be impacted by any changes.

For Prospective Students for Fall 2021 and beyond:

How can I learn more about Eastman?

We are not currently able to offer on-campus tours, but we are offering online information sessions each week. These sessions are hosted by an admissions counselor, and include plenty of time for Q&A.  Sign up for an online session here:  https://www.esm.rochester.edu/admissions/visiting/#tours  You can also feel free to contact Admissions at admissions@esm.rochester.edu with any questions.

Once our campus re-opens, we expect to resume offering regular campus tours on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings.