DATES AND AUDITION OPTIONS
2023 Rochester Audition Dates: Fridays February 3, 17, 24
2023 Virtual Audition Option: Applicants who would like to audition virtually should upload their pre-screening requirements within their application. If approved, applicants will perform their final audition over zoom in February 2023.
PRE-SCREENING AND AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
Pre-screening requirement: All undergraduate viola applicants must upload a preliminary audition recording by December 1st (video required). The pre-screening recording must include the following:
- one movement of a concerto (not a slow movement, accompanied or unaccompanied)
- one movement of solo Bach
- one etude
BM Final Audition Requirements:
- Three contrasting selections or major movements, which must be taken from three significant works representing different compositional periods. One of the selections must be by Bach.
- One etude or technical study
Pre-screening Requirement: By December 1st, all graduate viola applicants must upload a preliminary pre-screening recording (video required). The pre-screening video recording must include one movement of a concerto, one movement of Bach, and one movement of a sonata.
MM final audition requirements: Each of the following:
- 2 movements of a major concerto (memorized)
- 2 movements of a major sonata
- 2 movements of solo Bach (memorized)
- A work composed within the past 50 years
DMA final audition requirements: Each of the following:
- A major concerto (memorized)
- Two additional significant works for viola and piano or solo viola, one written in the past 50 years
- Two movements of a Bach Cello Suite or Sonata or Partita transcribed (memorized)