DATES AND AUDITION OPTIONS
2023 Rochester Audition Dates: Friday February 10, 17, 24
2023 Virtual Audition Option: Applicants should upload a video recording of their audition requirements within their application by February 1st.
PRE-SCREENING AND AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
There is no pre-screening required for undergraduate tuba.
BM Audition Requirements:
- One Bordogni melodic study
- One Kopprasch technical etude, either #17 or #36
- All scales
- Excerpts: Wagner, “Meistersinger” Overture (Letter J to the end), Berlioz Hungarian March, and Ride of the Valkyries
- Performance applicants must also play the cadenza from the Hindemith Sonata (mvt. 3) and either the Vaughn Williams Concerto (mvt. 1 & 2) or the Hindemith Sonata (mvt. 1 & 2)
- Music Education applicants whose instrument is tuba must play the Edward Gregson Concerto (mvt. 1 only) and the cadenza from Mvt. 3, Hindemith Sonata
There is no pre-screening required for graduate tuba.
MM and DMA Audition Requirements:
- 1 lyrical etude (such as, but not limited to, Bordogni, Concone, Panofka, etc.)
- 1 technical etude (such as, but not limited to, Kopprasch, Arban, Charlier, etc.)
- 1 baroque, classical, or romantic transcription
- 1 complete, major work (concerto, sonata, etc.) originally composed for the instrument
- 3 contrasting orchestral or band excerpts as appropriate to training and experience
DMA Candidates must also upload the following within their application by December 1st:
- A short example of the applicant’s proficiency on either trombone, bass trombone, or tuba (5 minutes)
- A short demonstration of the applicant’s one-on-one teaching ability (10 minutes)