DATES AND AUDITION OPTIONS
2023 Rochester Audition Dates: Friday February 3, 10, 17, 24
2023 Remote Audition Option: Applicants who would like to audition virtually will be scheduled for a zoom audition in February 2023.
PRE-SCREENING AND AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
There is no pre-screening recording required for undergraduate euphonium.
- Solos by Barat, Jacob, Capuzzi, Herbert L. Clarke, or other works of similar difficulty
- One complete etude from Bordogni/Rochut Melodious Etudes 1-24
- One complete technical etude from Kopprasch “60 Selected Studies” or Blazhevich “Clef Studies” or Arban “Characteristic Etudes”
- Band or orchestra excerpts as appropriate to training and experience
There is no pre-screening recording required for MM applicants.
DMA Pre-screening requirement: DMA applicants must upload a 30-minute preliminary audition video recording within their application by Dec. 1st containing the following material:
- 2 contrasting solo movements/works (1 from the standard repertoire and 1 transcription) (15 minutes)
- A short demonstration of the applicant’s one-on-one teaching ability (10 minutes)
- A short example of the applicant’s proficiency on either trombone, bass trombone, or tuba (5 minutes)
Please include piano or ensemble accompaniment for these recorded performances.
MM and DMA Audition requirements:
- 1 lyrical etude (such as, but not limited to, Bordogni, Concone, Panofka, etc.)
- 1 technical etude (such as, but not limited to, Kopprasch, Arban, Charlier, etc.)
- 1 baroque, classical, or romantic transcription
- 1 complete, major work (concerto, sonata, etc.) originally composed for the instrument
- 3 contrasting orchestral or band excerpts as appropriate to training and experience
- Possible sight-reading demanding proficiency in bass, tenor, and B-flat treble clefs