DATES AND AUDITION OPTIONS
2023 Rochester Audition Dates: Friday February 17 and Friday February 24
2023 Remote Audition Option: Applicants who would like to audition virtually should upload their audition requirements within their application by February 1st. A virtual meeting with the Professor of Double Bass will take place over zoom in February 2023.
PRE-SCREENING AND AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
There is no pre-screening required for undergraduate double bass.
- One movement from one of the following double bass concerti: Bottesini, Dittersdorf, Dragonetti, Koussevitsky, or Vanhal
- One contrasting solo work of the applicant’s choice
- Applicants must prepare two orchestral excerpts of the applicant’s choice from the standard orchestral repertoire
- Applicants must perform two scales (one major, one melodic minor) of their choice in two or three octaves
There is no pre-screening recording required for graduate double bass.
MM and DMA Audition Requirements: Prepared repertoire should include the following:
- Bottesini Concerto, Tubin Concerto, Koussevitzky Concerto, Vanhal Concerto, Nino Rota Divertimento Concertante, or other selection approved in consultation with Professor VanDemark
- A contemporary solo work
- Orchestral excerpts:
Richard Strauss Ein Heldenleben #9-12
Alberto Ginastera Variaciones Concertantes double bass solo
The final movement of Mozart Symphony No. 35
Beethoven Symphony No. 5, 3rd movement, Scherzo and Trio, no repeat