Eastman Community Music School (ECMS) will host its annual ‘Winterfest” Saturday, December 14 at the Eastman School of Music, in several concert halls and classrooms across the campus.
Each year since 1998, the Eastman Community Music School showcases the talent and musicianship of its students during an annual celebration of the winter season. An extravaganza of concurrent performances in venues across the Eastman School of Music campus, Winterfest features ensembles and students ranging in age from elementary school to adults. The day-long celebration features a wide array of music styles and ensemble types and includes holiday favorites in abundance.
All performances are free and open to the public.
Eastman Community Music School is proud to house a wonderfully diverse student population. Winterfest is a music-filled day with performances starting at 9:30 a.m. and featuring:
- 5 stages in the same building
- Over 30 hours of live music
- Performers ranging in age from kindergarten to retirees
- Vocal and instrumental groups
- Works composed in the 1600s to current student compositions
- Music ranging in style from European courts all the way to Harlem Swing Clubs
- Hear holiday favorites on a range of instruments“This is a great opportunity for everyone in the community to hear a variety of ensembles and join us to celebrate the season by listening and making music,” said Petar Kodzas, Associate Dean and Director, Eastman Community Music School. The Eastman Community Music School has been an integral part of the Eastman School of Music, University of Rochester, and the Rochester community, since its opening in 1921
For a full list of Winterfest performances please visit: https://www.esm.rochester.edu/community/winterfest/
# # #
About Eastman Community Music School:
The Eastman Community Music School (ECMS) provides opportunities for community members to learn, discuss, and celebrate music. As one of Eastman’s primary connections to the greater Rochester community since 1921, the school offers music lessons, ensembles, classes, and workshops to students of all ages and backgrounds. ECMS serves an average of 1,600 students per year ranging in age from 4 months to 100 years old. From pre-school and early childhood programs, to college prep and diploma programs, to adult ensembles and classes, ECMS nurtures and inspires students at all levels.
About Eastman School of Music:
The Eastman School of Music was founded in 1921 by industrialist and philanthropist George Eastman (1854-1932), founder of Eastman Kodak Company. It was the first professional school of the University of Rochester. Mr. Eastman’s dream was that his school would provide a broad education in the liberal arts as well as superb musical training. The current dean is Jamal Rossi, appointed in 2014.
More than 900 students are enrolled in the Collegiate Division of the Eastman School of Music—about 500 undergraduates and 400 graduate students. They come from almost every state, and approximately 23 percent are from other countries. They are taught by a faculty comprised of more than 130 highly regarded performers, composers, conductors, scholars, and educators. They are Pulitzer Prize winners, Grammy winners, Emmy winners, Guggenheim Fellows, ASCAP Award recipients, published authors, recording artists, and acclaimed musicians who have performed in the world’s greatest concert halls. Each year, Eastman’s students, faculty members, and guest artists present more than 900 concerts to the Rochester community.