UPDATED February 1, 2017
Several graduates of the Eastman School of Music have received nominations in the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences, Inc.’s 59th GRAMMY Awards:
- In Category 11, Best Contemporary Instrumental Album: Steve Gadd (BM68) Band for Way Back Home: Live from Rochester NY
- In Category 48, Best Bluegrass Album, double bassist Geoff Saunders (BM09) is a member of the O’Connor Band with Mark O’Connor, nominated for Coming Home.
- In Category 69, Best Engineered Album non-classical: Bob Ludwig (BM66 MM01) for Are You Serious
- In Category 78, Best Chamber Music: The ensemble Third Coast Percussion, which include alumnus Sean D. Connors BM04, was nominated for Steve Reich.
- In Category 72, Best Surround Sound Album: Brad Michel (MM85) is the surround mix engineer on Johnson: Considering Matthew Shepard.
- In Category 79, Best Classical Instrumental Solo: Kristian Bezuidenhout (BM01 MM04) for Mozart Keyboard Music. (alumnus Michel is the editor and recording engineer on the album).
- Two Eastman alums are competing in Category 82, Best Contemporary Classical Composition: Gene Scheer (BM81 MM82), librettist on Higdon: Cold Mountain; and composer Christopher Theofanidis (MM92) for Theofanidis: Bassoon Concerto
Winners of the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences, Inc.’s 59th GRAMMY Awards will be announced on Sunday, Feb. 12, 2017, live from Staples Center in Los Angeles and broadcast on the CBS Television Network from 8–11:30 p.m. ET/5–8:30 pm PT.
# # #