- When a faculty studio becomes vacant, the studio is considered part of a central pool of studios for potential redistribution to address known teaching and research needs.
- Logistical issues, such as the studio’s size, acoustical properties, and location, will all be considered when reassigning a vacant studio.
- Studio reassignments will be based upon the appropriateness of a given studio to address those issues that are required in order for a faculty member to best fulfill his/her teaching and research responsibilities.
- Priority will be by the following seniority and appointment order: 1.) full-time ESM, 2.) part-time ESM, 3.) full-time ECMS, 4.) part-time ECMS.
- The Executive Director of Operations and the Associate Dean of Faculty Affairs work collaboratively on all faculty studio assignments.
- Faculty members who wish to be considered for reassignment to a different studio should send a written request to the Executive Director of Operations and Associate Dean of Faculty Affairs indicating the reason for requesting reassignment, and the specific needs to be addressed (e.g., larger studio for coaching chamber music; improved acoustical isolation; better proximity to departmental colleagues; other). Reassignment requests may be made on a rolling basis and will be considered as part of the annual studio assignment process in the spring.
- A list will be compiled in seniority order (total number of years employed at Eastman) of all faculty members who wish to be considered for reassignment.
- As studio vacancies become available, the Senior Executive Director of Operations and the Associate Dean of Faculty Affairs will assess the requests. When proposed new studio assignments are identified, they will consult with the Department Chair to solicit feedback and input into the proposed studio assignment.
- Faculty members will be approached in order of seniority for rooms that appear to meet expressed needs.
- If a faculty member chooses to decline an available studio, the faculty member will be approached again when another vacancy becomes available.
- Once a faculty member is satisfied with a studio assignment, they will be removed from the list of faculty members requesting reassignment.
- The faculty studio assignment process is targeted to be completed by July 1st. Due to the timing of the studio assignments and the time involved in preparing a new studio location, a July 1st move-in date will not always be possible for every faculty member involved.
There may be times when an exception to the procedure outlined above is necessary because it is deemed to be in the best interest of the School. Examples might include the need to reserve a desirable vacant studio in order to recruit a particularly noteworthy faculty candidate, or because the pressing needs of a junior faculty member are met more adequately by a particular studio vacancy than are the less pressing needs of a senior faculty member. Every effort will be made to honor the process as articulated above.
Updated August 2023