Opened in 1922, Kilbourn Hall was built by George Eastman and dedicated to the memory of his mother, Maria Kilbourn Eastman. Three stories high and decorated in the Venetian Renaissance style seats 444 audience members, and has only seen one major renovation in its hundred years of existence. In 2016, the carpet & seats were updated, and the stage was augmented to be ADA accessible. The acoustics of this hall complement a wide variety of instruments and ensembles, making it one of our student’s favorite spaces to perform in.
Kilbourn Hall also houses the largest pipe organ in Rochester, designed in 1921 by Harold Gleason and Joseph Bonnet. Built by the premiere American organ builder of the time, Ernest M. Skinner, the organ was installed in time for the opening of the hall.
The Kilbourn stage hosts all jazz ensembles, a variety of guest artists, classical chamber groups, our early music and new music ensembles, and is an equally popular space for solo degree recitals. Additionally, our fall opera is always staged in this space. The shell surrounding the stage is completely removable, and we build a set from scratch for every production. Past opera productions in Kilbourn Hall have included: The Turn of the Screw by Benjamin Britten, The Coronation of Poppea by Claudio Monteverdi, and Hydrogen Jukebox by Philip Glass.