Raymond Wilson (1888-1969) joined the piano faculty of Eastman in its first year, 1921. Dr. Wilson served as acting director of the School from 1923 until Howard Hanson was appointed in 1924, at which time Wilson became the assistant director of the Preparatory Department. Dr. Wilson received a bachelor of music degree from the Pennsylvania College of Music in 1908 and later studied at the Peabody Conservatory. During his performance career, he concertized in New York, Philadelphia, Boston, and other American cities. Dr. Wilson was the head of the piano department at Skidmore College from 1912 until 1914, when he joined the faculty of Syracuse University. He remained in Syracuse for seven years until the opening of the Eastman School of Music. Dr. Wilson was awarded an honorary doctor of music degree by the Chicago Musical College in 1947, and an honorary master of music degree from Syracuse University. During his career at Eastman, he also served as head of the Summer Session. Dr. Wilson retired from the School in 1953.