Student Services

Study Carrels

Questions regarding registration, renewal, and use of carrels should be directed to Robert Iannapollo, Circulation Supervisor. He may also be contacted if you are having a problem with temperature, lighting, study schedules with your carrel mate, etc. His office is located behind the Circulation Desk, phone x4-1306.

The assigned carrels on the fourth floor are intended for the use of graduate students involved in intensive research and study. Assignments are based on the following order of priority:

  1. Doctoral students in Music Education, Musicology, and Theory
  2. Masters students in Music Education, Musicology, and Theory; DMA students writing a dissertation
  3. Doctoral students in Composition and DMA students

Within this structure, carrels are assigned on a first come, first served basis. Please do not sign up for a carrel if you are going to use it only occasionally! Carrels are generally assigned for the academic year. Returning students may renew their carrels at the end of the spring semester. Students who are not returning must vacate their carrels by the end of the spring semester.

Due to the increasing number of graduate students in need of carrels and the limited number of spaces, carrels may have more than one person assigned to them.


Student Employment

Sibley Music Library employs students in each of its departments. Students who wish to apply for library employment should go to the office of the Library Secretary (Room 212) and complete a “Sibley Music Library Student Employment Application.” Part III of this form provides brief descriptions of the types of duties students perform in each of the Library’s departments. In order to work in the Library a student must be registered on a full-time basis and must have an I-9 form on file with the Financial Aid Office.