Practice Room Policies and ProceduresJanuary 8, 2021
Eastman School of Music
Revised Practice Room Policies and Procedures
Given the enhanced safety protocols in place for the 2020/2021 academic year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, changes are being made to the way students will utilize practice space at Eastman. These general policies will apply to all practice spaces:
- Training/Symptom Tracking: All students who access practice rooms must have completed the University’s COVID-19 Safety Training in Blackboard and completing their daily Dr. Chatbot symptom tracking.
- Reservations required: All practice spaces at Eastman will be reserved in advance in order to keep students from queuing up in hallways and/or wandering the building while they wait for a room. This will also allow the administration to keep a record of practice room occupancy in the event this information is needed for contact tracing.
- Cleaning room spaces: Students will adhere to posted cleaning protocols in all practice rooms and utilize the provided cleaning products as instructed. While Eastman has implemented enhanced cleaning protocols throughout the facilities, individual students are responsible for cleaning their practice room before and after each session.
- Breaks between sessions: The schedule for room usage requires a break of at least 30 minutes between practice sessions in each room. This will allow for an exchange of air in the room and provide ample time for virus particles to settle and be cleaned more easily.
- Occupancy limits: Practice rooms in the Annex and in the basement of the main building will be limited to an occupancy of one student at a time. All practice rooms will be marked with occupancy limits so that this information is clear to students and faculty at all times. In order to allow for 2 or more students to rehearse together, classroom spaces will be identified and available for students to sign out in advance. The same rules from above apply to these larger spaces (sign out requirements, cleaning expectations, and break between practice sessions)
- Other spaces: For rooms where the sign-out system cannot be managed through the University’s online Event Management System (EMS), online sign-out sheets will be created and maintained by the Office of Academic Affairs. The links to these online shared documents will be distributed to the appropriate students and/or TAs, and students will use these forms to reserve their practice spaces in advance of their practice sessions. In situations where rooms are assigned to a small group of students for the duration of the fall semester, no sign-out system is necessary; however, these students are still expected to schedule themselves to allow for the 30-minute break between practice sessions.
- All of these polices are subject to change throughout the spring 2021 semester. The Office of Academic Affairs will be soliciting student and faculty feedback throughout the semester and will work closely with the Eastman Student Association, Graduate Student Association, and the Eastman Department Chairs to make adjustments as necessary to ensure that students have appropriate access to practice spaces.
- Practice rooms will be monitored by student workers who will have access to the sign-out schedules, and they will monitor usage to ensure that students are practicing only in rooms they have previously reserved and are following all other spring 2021 practice room rules and regulations. Students who repeatedly violate the spring 2021 practice room policies may be subject to disciplinary action per the University of Rochester Student Code of Conduct.
- In order to provide additional time for students to practice, the building will now open at 7:00 am. As before, students will be able to reserve practice space through 11:00 pm every day.
Below are the practice room policy modifications by instrument:
Piano practice rooms, with the exception of the 9 locked Steinway rooms, will be available to sign out in advance through EMS. 2-hour blocks of time, with 30-minutes breaks in between practice sessions, will be available for students to sign out electronically. Students will be allowed to sign out at least two 2-hour blocks of time per day in these rooms, and online sign out of these rooms will be limited to piano students only. NOTE: These rooms will have a maximum occupancy of one. Different practice spaces will have to be used when a student wants to rehearse with others.
Applies to the following rooms: Annex 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 22, 23, 208, 214, 217, 317, 417, 611, 614, 619
The 9 locked Steinway practice rooms will continue to be assigned by piano studio grouping and the schedule will adhere to the time limits as established by the piano department. The only changes to these rooms for fall 2020 are that students must ensure a 30-minute break between practice sessions and they must use the online sign-out sheets created and maintained by the Office of Academic Affairs. NOTE: These rooms will have a maximum occupancy of one. Different practice spaces must be used when a student wants to rehearse with others.
Applies to the following rooms: Annex 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 220, 610, 615, 617
10 practice rooms in the Annex will be identified as voice-only practice rooms for the fall semester. These rooms will all be outside-facing rooms with serviceable windows to ensure for maximum room ventilation. Eastman facilities will relocate any mirrors in these rooms so that students can face the window and view themselves in the mirror while singing. These rooms will be available to sign out these rooms in 1-hour blocks of time through EMS, with 30 minutes breaks in between practice sessions. Students will be allowed to sign out up to two, 1-hour blocks of time per day in these rooms, and online sign out of these rooms will be limited to voice students only. NOTE: These rooms will have a maximum occupancy of one. Different practice spaces must be used when a student wants to rehearse with others.
Applies to the following rooms: Annex 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335
Organ, Percussion, Double Bass, Tuba, and Harp
These instruments will continue to have assigned practice spaces in the basement and 4th floor of the Main Building as well as the Annex. Students must ensure a 30-minute break between practice sessions and they must use the online sign-out sheets created and maintained by the Office of Academic Affairs. NOTE: These rooms will have a maximum occupancy of one during practice sessions. Different practice spaces must be used when a student wants to rehearse with others.
Applies to the following rooms:
Organ – ESM 417, 418, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, and Schmitt Organ Recital Hall
Percussion – Annex 2, 8, 12, 13, 303, 511, 904, 905, 906, 907, 908, 1003, 1004, 1005, 1006, 1007
Tuba/Euphonium/Double Bass – ESM 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Harp – Annex 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312
Harpsichord and Fortepiano rooms may be utilized for individual practice as well as lessons, and will have a maximum occupancy of 1-2 individuals depending on the specific room. Priority will be given to lesson teaching, but any additional time in this room will be available for online sign up through EMS. Students will be allowed to sign out up to two, 2-hour blocks of time per day in these rooms.
Applies to the following rooms (Harpsichord, single occupancy): Annex 518, 525, 526
Applies to the following rooms (Harpsichord, double occupancy): Annex 424, 425
Applies to the following rooms (Fortepiano, single occupancy): Annex 523
All other instruments
All other instrumentalists will be able to reserve Annex practice rooms in advance through EMS. 2-hour blocks of time, with 30-minutes breaks in between practice sessions, will be available for students to sign out electronically. Students will be allowed to sign out up to two, 2-hour blocks of time per day in these rooms. NOTE: These rooms will have a maximum occupancy of one. Different practice spaces must be used when a student wants to rehearse with others.
Applies to the following rooms: Annex 4, 21, 207, 221, 313, 314, 315, 316, 319, 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 411, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 426, 428, 429, 430, 431, 432, 433, 434, 435, 513, 514, 515, 516, 517, 519, 521, 522, 524, 527, 528, 529
Chamber Music Rehearsal Space
To allow for chamber music practice for 2+ students with adequate physical distancing, classroom space will be designated as practice spaces for chamber music groups. Sign outs for these rooms will be handled by the online EMS system and groups will be limited to two hours of time per day (per chamber music group, not per individual student). As with all other practice rooms, there must be a space of 30 minutes between two practice sessions.
Chamber music practice rooms – TBA
Collaborative Piano and Vocal Coaching
There will be spaces reserved exclusively for the use of collaborative pianists this fall, and the collaborative piano faculty, in close consultation with the vocal coaching faculty, are developing policies for use of these spaces. Your collaborative pianist or faculty coach will have information about how to access these spaces.
Online Lessons and Recordings
There will be rooms set aside exclusively for online lessons and student recordings. These rooms will identified shortly and sign-out processes will be communicated to students.
****To access the online (non-EMS) sign-out sheets, the link is:
****To access EMS for the majority of the practice room online scheduling, the link is: