Fall 2020 Returning Student Move-in Information – August 17-25, 2020July 17, 2020
Fall 2020 Returning Student Move-in Information – August 17-25, 2020
We’re very excited to welcome you back to campus in August. The University and the Rochester metro area continue to reopen safely thanks to the guidance of our experts from the University of Rochester Medical Center who are continually monitoring health and safety protocols that comply with stringent New York state regulations. We are working to ensure that our campus will be one of the safest places you can be this fall.
As you can imagine, the move-in process will include several important modifications in order to maintain appropriate physical distances and make sure everyone is properly protected against COVID-19.
All undergraduate students living on campus must either:
- A. Participate in COVID-19 testing upon arrival
- B. Provide documentation of a negative COVID-19 test, which must be an RT-PCR test conducted 24-72 hours prior to arrival on campus. Only students who arrive by car and have traveled directly to campus from home (no overnight stop on the way) are eligible to submit proof of a negative test (details below).
Additionally, all arriving students need to have completed the University’s online COVID-19 Safety Training program found on Blackboard at https://learn.rochester.edu. Failure to do so will result in delays in the move-in process; please be sure to complete this in advance.
Returning Student Move-in
Please note: each student may only bring one person to campus to assist them with move-in. Both the student and helper must wear a face mask or covering while on campus.
Returning student move in will be Monday, Aug. 17 – Tuesday, Aug. 25. The first four days of the returning student move-in are shared with first-year students and there will be more limited arrival slots for returning students on those days. Our priority the first four days will be to get first-year students here and settled. From August 21- 25, all time slots will be devoted to upper-class student arrival.
In order to move-in, returning students must sign up for an arrival day and time. This will allow us to physically distance students and allow for better move-in flow. This sign-up will be emailed to your university address starting on Wednesday, July 15. You cannot arrive on campus without a move-in day and time.
The move-in process:
- Students should arrive on River Campus campus one hour prior to their assigned move-in time to be tested for COVID-19. Vehicles should proceed through the main entrance to the University’s River Campus (Elmwood Ave and Wilson Blvd.; GPS: 252 Elmwood Avenue
Rochester, NY) and will be directed to Intercampus Drive.
- Student drop-off for COVID testing will be at the corner of Library Road and Intercampus Drive. Their family member will be directed to a waiting lot on Intercampus Drive and remain with the car.
- Students will be directed to our COVID-19 testing site in Goergen Athletic Center on River Campus where they will receive the COVID-19 test, and then be directed to the downtown Eastman Campus and its Student Living Center (GPS: 100 Gibbs Street, Rochester, NY 14624). Key, ID, and mailbox combo pick-up will be here.
Students who instead present proof of a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test conducted 24-72 hours prior to arrival on campus, along with confirmation of completion of the online COVID-19 Safety training will be able to proceed directly to the Eastman Student Living Center at their assigned move in time. Please note: acceptable proof of the COVID-19 test can either be a paper copy of a negative result, or a text message from the testing center. Again, only students who arrive by car and have travelled directly to campus from home (no overnight stop on the way) are eligible to submit proof of a negative test.
- Residential Life and Parking Services will be managing the move-in at the Eastman Student Living Center. Once at the Student Living Center, the student and family member have one hour to unload the car and get belongings to the student’s room. For safety reasons, when the move-in process is complete, the family member and car must leave campus.
COVID-19 test results will be reported back to the University and to the student within 24 hours. Students will move in prior to receiving the results of the test, however, roommates in double rooms will not move in together before both individuals have a negative test result. If a student receives a positive COVID-19 test result, they will be relocated to one of our isolation living areas.
Students arriving from restricted states with New York quarantine requirements
Amidst current New York State quarantine requirements for individuals arriving to Rochester from certain states with high COVID-19 transmission rates, the University is currently reviewing options and will be sending out guidance soon to help students and families begin to make travel plans that include a possible 14-day self-quarantine obligation. The University will distribute this information within the next few days, and the most recent updates can be found on the University’s Restart page at https://www.rochester.edu/coronavirus-update/guidance-for-students-families-regarding-hot-spot-quarantine-requirements/