PRESCREENING AND AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
2022 Rochester Audition Dates
- Choral Conducting: Friday January 28th and Fridays February 4, 11
- Orchestral Conducting: Friday, February 4th
- Orchestral Conducting – New Music & Contemporary Ensembles: Friday, January 28, Friday February 4
- Wind Conducting: Thursday, February 10th
Note: There are no openings for the DMA Orchestra Conducting or for DMA Wind Ensemble Conducting programs for Fall 2022.
Prescreening Requirement: All applicants must upload a preliminary conducting video recording by the application deadline. The conductor should be in full frontal or partial profile view; at least part of the ensemble should also be in view. Repertoire should be appropriate to the musical and technical level of the ensemble.
For Choral Conducting applicants, videos should include 15 minutes of rehearsal of two contrasting works; performance video is optional for choral conductors.
For Orchestral Conducting and Wind Conducting applicants, the video recording must show the applicant conducting at least two compositions in a performance, and at least two compositions in a rehearsal.
Video of rehearsal must be conducted in English. Please note that any safety precautions needed to protect the health of participants will not negatively impact the evaluation of the video. If you are encountering difficulties in meeting the video requirements, please contact the Office of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
On-Campus Audition Repertoire:
Prior to the audition date, conducting applicants who are selected for auditions will be informed of the required work(s) to be prepared for the audition.
On the audition day:
- Applicants rehearse and conduct the prepared score(s) with an Eastman ensemble. Auditions are scheduled for 15 to 20 minutes.
- A three-part written exam is given on the audition day. The exam covers music history, theory (analysis), and score recognition.
- An interview with members of the conducting and ensembles department faculty will be scheduled, either individually or in groups.
- There is no separate instrumental or vocal audition required.
Please note that applicants to DMA conducting program in choral, orchestral or wind ensemble conducting should have held positions demanding a professional level of conducting for a minimum of two years. (This is not an expectation for New Music applicants.) Musicians familiar with your work as a conductor should be included among the three required letters of recommendation.