Organ, Sacred Music, and Historical Keyboards
2013 EROI Festival
Coinciding with the Westfield International Organ Competition and Academy and the Rochester Fringe Festival
On behalf of the EROI Working Committee of the Eastman School of Music, we invite you to join us for our twelfth annual EROI Festival. 2013 marks important birthdays for two influential composers: William Bolcom and Anton Heiller. We are pleased to announce William Bolcom will join us in his 75th birthday year to offer master classes and a presentation on his organ music. We also honor Anton Heiller on what would have been his 90th birthday year with presentations and master classes featuring his music and pedagogical legacy. As is the custom with EROI festivals, this year’s conference will include formal presentations, workshops, master classes, and performances, all by world-renowned performers and scholars.
The 2013 EROI festival will intersect with two other exciting events, the Westfield International Organ Competition and Academy and the Rochester Fringe Festival. EROI participants will have the opportunity to hear the final round and winners’ recital of Westfield Competition, as well as a critically acclaimed multi-media concert as part of the Fringe Festival.
We hope you will join us in Rochester for what promises to be an exciting, enlightening, and inspiring event!
David Higgs, Chair and Professor of Organ
Edoardo Bellotti, Associate Professor of Organ, Harpsichord, and Improvisation
Nathan Laube, Assistant Professor of Organ
Annie Laver, EROI Festival Director and Instructor of Organ
Festival Highlights include:
- Performances by Edoardo Bellotti, Hans-Ola Ericsson, Jon Gillock, Martin Herchenröder, David Higgs, Stephen Kennedy, Nathan Laube, Peter Planyavsky, Douglas Reed, Marla Schweppe, Mark Steinbach, Chaowen Ting, and the Eastman Graduate Chamber Orchestra
- Westfield International Organ Competition Final Round and Winners’ Recital
- Spirits Within, a Fringe Festival show of organ improvisation and light projections
- Keynote address by Hans-Ola Ericsson, McGill University
- Master classes devoted to the works of Bolcom, Hindemith, Heiller, Ligeti, and Messiaen given by William Bolcom, Hans Davidsson, Jon Gillock, Christa Rakich, and Peter Planyavsky
- Papers by Amy Bauer, William Bolcom, Lars Gjerde, Randall Harlow, Peter Planyavsky, and Andrew Shenton
- Five great meals included in the registration fee