Congratulations, and an upcoming performance

Twenty-seven Eastman School of Music students were recently admitted to the Catherine Filene Shouse Arts Leadership Program, including three hornists. Congratulations to first-year DMA student Erin Futterer, junior Renée Vogen, and first year MM student Emily Wozniak on being accepted into this prestigious program! The ALP Certificate Program is unique to Eastman and includes courses, internships, and grants to help students acquire the skills needed for a career in music. For more information on the Catherine Filene Shouse Arts Leadership Program, check out the ALP website.

There is some more exciting news around the Horn Studio- sophomore Daniel Brottman will be premiering his first composition for solo horn, “Dinners With Kelly”, at the Composers’ Forum on October 6 at 12:30PM in Kilbourn Hall. Of the work, Daniel says:

“Dinners With Kelly” began life when a friend of mine (Kelly Suthers) asked me to write a piece for her while we were eating dinner in our much beloved Dining Center. I pulled out a sheet of staff paper and wrote what became the first movement. It was so much fun, we decided to do six more! Each of the movements were written within about a 45 minute period, while eating dinner. The movement titles do not represent the music directly (perhaps subconsciously?) but rather, the food I was eating while composing them. The act of sitting down and just WRITING no matter what my ideas were and what my mood happened to be was an intriguing challenge, and I think the fun I had with the project shows through in each of the movements.

We cannot wait to hear Daniel perform this new addition to the horn repertoire. Congrats again to those admitted into the Arts Leadership Program and to Daniel on his first composition for solo horn!