Douglas Prosser received his BM from the Eastman School of Music, where he studied with Barbara Butler, Charles Geyer, and Mark Gould. He served as Principal trumpet in the City of Barcelona Symphony Orchestra (1987-95), and has been Principal Trumpet of the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra since 1995 and a member of Eastman Brass since 1998.
He was a faculty member at the University of Barcelona (summers, 1990-95) and a visiting professor at Nazareth College (spring 1997) before joining the Eastman faculty in 1997.
He has given numerous master classes, lectures, recitals, and concerts in Spain and the United States. His recent engagements include:
- December 2005: Master class at Towson University
- December 2005: Guest artist and recitalist at the International Historical and Cultural Festival, Campeche, Mexico
- January 2006: Guest artist and clinician, Barcelona and Zaragoza, Spain
- Summer 2007: Acting Associate Principal Trumpet, Philadelphia Orchestra at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center
- April 2009: Guest artist performance of Tomasi Trumpet Concerto, Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra
- Summers 2009-2011: faculty member of the Bar Harbor Brass Festival, Bar Harbor, Maine
- February 2010: Master class at SUNY Brockport
- April 2010: Master class at SUNY Fredonia
- 2010-2012: sporadic work as guest Principal Trumpet, Buffalo Philharmonic
- February 2011: Master class at the University of Colorado at Boulder
- September 2011: Trumpet Master classes and private instruction, New World Symphony, Miami, Florida
- September 2011-2012: Ten weeks as substitute Associate Principal Trumpet, Philadelphia Orchestra ending with a two-week tour of China (Beijing, Tianjin, Guanzhou, Shanghai) and San Francisco
He has appeared on various recordings, starting in 1985, with CBS Masterworks (Eastman Wind Ensemble with Winton Marsalis) and continuing with albums on EMI Classics (City of Barcelona Symphony Orchestra), Harmonia Mundi (Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra), and Arabesque (Eastman-Dryden Orchestra).