Leaving Campus and Petition to Stay
This is an unprecedented time for all of us. Please read this message carefully. We are taking responsible measures to protect the health of our community and appreciate your understanding that we are doing our best to solve multiple concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Below are 1) Directions for students who are Going Home and 2) Petition to Stay instructions for students who feel it necessary to stay.
Please plan to return to your residence hall room as soon as possible. We are asking you to move out and return to your home residence – ideally by no later than March 22, 2020. All check-outs will be express – requiring students to pick up an Express Check-Out Form and envelope at the SLC Front Desk or from their RA, complete the form, and leave their keys with their RA or at the Front Desk of the Student Living Center. However, we understand that some students are unable to leave campus. We would like to provide some information that will help you with this transition.
Please note: Once you move out of the SLC you are expected to return to your permanent home address. Students should not make any plans to sign off-campus apartment leases without being released from their housing requirements.
Students who are making plans to finish their coursework from home, should complete the following steps:
- Make travel arrangements with parents/guardians
- We encourage all students to leave campus by March 22, 2020.
- The Office for Residential Life will be open regular business hours: 9:00am – 5:00pm, Monday through Friday, this week and next week, with weekend hours from 9:00am – 5:00pm on Saturday and Sunday, March 14 – 15, and March 21 – 22.
- Complete the attached Express Check-Out form (required).The Express Check-Out can be completed at any time without staff or RAs needing to be present (follow directions on attached form).
- If you would like to utilize SLC Storage, please complete the attached form
- Place items in the Student Living Center storage during these times (if applicable):
- March 13 – 22, 2020, 2:00pm – 5:00pm (Come to the SLC Front Desk)
- March 13 – 22, 2020, 8:30pm – 9:30pm (Call the RA On Call number for storage access)
- As you make your arrangements, try to pack in ways that will allow you to leave campus yourself, rather than requiring family members to assist you. For you and your family’s health, our goal remains to limit the number of people on campus. Make sure to remove all personal items, turn off your lights, close all windows, and lock your door.
- Turn in your key and completed Express Check-Out Form to the SLC Front Desk.
We expect that you can leave campus by March 22, 2020. We realize that you may have logistical questions. Please stop into the Office during our regular business hours to discuss them. Refunds of housing and dining fees will be processed with an effective date of March 20, 2020.
Petition to Stay
If you feel that you need to stay, please complete the following petition by clicking the link below (Give your Full Name, Student ID, and Criteria for needing to stay).
Students who are approved to remain on campus will participate in online courses and will not be allowed to attend class in person. Those on campus should expect limited services. This includes reduced dining options, curtailed hours at libraries and Annex practice rooms. During this period, students approved to remain on campus will not be permitted to have guests or visitors. These measures are undertaken to protect the health of all of our community. We appreciate your patience, flexibility, and cooperation as we navigate these developments.
Once again, we understand that this will be a difficult time for you, but we are committed to supporting our students whether at home or on campus. We will share additional updates in the coming days.