Office of Academic Affairs

Disability Services and Support for Students


Our school is committed to fostering a welcoming, encouraging, and empowering environment for students with disabilities. Services are provided within the individual schools. Each school has a designated access coordinator who requests and maintains disability-related documents, certifies eligibility for services, and determines and develops plans for reasonable accommodations.

Britt Linné Semenow, Academic Counselor, serves as the Access Coordinator for the Eastman School of Music at the University of Rochester, and works closely with the University of Rochester Disability Compliance Director to make arrangements for reasonable academic accommodations in educational settings for students with disabilities. Using an interactive process involving the student, faculty, and staff, we implement individualized accommodations while maintaining anonymity and promoting opportunities for self-advocacy.

Students with disabilities have the responsibility of contacting the Access Coordinator as soon as possible after they have filed their intent to enroll. To schedule a meeting with the access coordinator, call 585.274.1165, or email

Access Coordinators at other schools can be found here.

It is a personal decision to disclose the existence of a disability and to request an accommodation – a decision not to disclose will be respected. While we cannot make accommodations retroactively (for example, allowing a student to repeat a test with new accommodation), we encourage you to begin the documentation process at any time during the semester.

Instructions for requesting the various types of accommodations are as follows:

How to Request Academic Accommodations

  1. Schedule an intake interview with Eastman’s access coordinator. The access coordinator will conduct an interview with you about your disability and the impact it has on learning in a post-secondary environment. You and your access coordinator will discuss what reasonable accommodations you are requesting.
  2. Submit documentation of your disability. Documentation must meet the documentation guidelines established by the University of Rochester. Refer to the Guidelines for Documenting a Disability page for assistance.
  3. We will review and evaluate the documentation. You will be notified once your documentation is reviewed to determine whether it meets the established guidelines, verifies the existence of a disability, and establishes how the requested accommodation will be effective. The process of determining reasonable accommodations is a collaborative effort between you, your access coordinator, a professional providing the documentation, and the course instructor or program director, if necessary.
  4. We will issue an accommodation letter to your instructors if reasonable accommodations are determined. Thereafter, each semester, you must fill out a Request for Reasonable academic Disability Accommodations Form. This form is available in the Office of Academic Affairs and in the Resources section below.
  5. You may use the formal or informal process for dispute resolution, if necessary.

We recognize that disabilities include mobility, sensory, health, psychological, and learning disabilities. It is our intent to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. There are three kinds of accommodations that are not considered reasonable: (1) It is not a reasonable accommodation if making the accommodation or allowing participation poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others; (2) It is not a reasonable accommodation if making the accommodation means making a substantial change in an essential element of the curriculum (educational viewpoint) or a substantial alteration in the manner in which services are provided; and (3) It is not a reasonable accommodation if it poses an undue financial or administrative burden.

Requesting Non-Academic Accommodations:

Requests for reasonable accommodations on the basis of a disability for University owned housing and dining services are evaluated on a case by case basis.  For more information, please see the University’s Non-Academic Accommodation Services page.

To submit your request for a housing and/or dining accommodation, please complete the Accommodation Request Form.

Requesting an Individual Evacuation Plan:

Individuals requesting the development of an Individual Evacuation Plan should contact EH&S at (585) 275-3241 or e-mail EH&S Questions. A representative from EH&S will schedule a time to meet with you and develop your personalized plan.

Additional Resources