The Eastman School of Music New Student Orientation Program (August 22-September 1) is a week of mandatory programs where new students will:
- Receive extensive academic advising and take placement exams
- Register for fall classes
- Learn about the academic, residential, and co-curricular environment
- Meet other new students and make friends
- Experience residence hall living
- Participate in fun events and explore ways to get involved in student life
- Meet faculty, staff, and administrators
- Discuss important first-year college issues
- Connect with a “Big Sib” and other Eastman Orientation Committee volunteers
- Learn about campus life from current students
- Learn your way around Eastman, River Campus, and Rochester
Eastman New Student Orientation Important Dates:
- Thursday, August 22: Move-in for new international students
- Friday, August 23 – Sunday, August 25: International Student Pre-Orientation Program
- Sunday, August 25: Rogers Scholars move-in
- Monday, August 26: Move-in for new students and transfers between 8am and 12pm
- Monday, August 26: Parent Orientation session at 2:30pm. Parents have goodbye time and depart after 4pm
- Tuesday, September 3: First day of classes!
International students will arrive on Thursday, August 22 for three days of educational and social programs specifically designed to assist them in acculturating to life at Eastman and in Rochester. Content will focus on topics such as healthcare, banking, housing, immigration, safety, and security. Students will also have time with faculty and administrators for meet and greets and roundtable discussions. Social activities include a shopping trip and walking tour of Rochester, movie and game night, and group meals in the Dining Center with RA’s and Eastman Orientation Committee student leaders. International students will continue with the rest of New Student Orientation on Monday, August 26, when all other new students arrive and move-in.
The Office of Student Life has enhanced the New Student Orientation Program by partnering with the mobile app Guidebook. Guidebook allows users to view a color coded schedule by track (such as graduate, undergraduate, and international programs), add sessions to a calendar, view interactive venue maps, explore the neighborhood with a map of downtown Rochester, view information on local eateries, upload pictures to a shared photo album, create to-do lists, and interface with other users in real-time through Facebook and Twitter. The Office of Student Life will notify students when the Guidebook is available to download.
The start of the college experience is an important and exciting time for parents, too. For this reason, we offer a Parent Orientation session to address interests and concerns. The presentation and panel discussion with deans will help familiarize parents with student life, residential life, and academic life at Eastman. The more parents understand about the college experience, the more helpful they will be during this transition. The Parent Orientation session is Monday, August 26, 2:30pm – 4pm. There are several resources for parents available at http://www.esm.rochester.edu/studentlife/for-parents/
There are several resources, forms, and important information on this website. The website is updated regularly with new information and forms added weekly. Please contact the Office of Student Life by phone at 585.274.1106 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.