Short-Term Injury or Illness

The Eastman School of Music community has a commitment to providing a safe and healthy environment for the various kinds of teaching and learning in which we are engaged. Occasionally, a short-term injury or illness impacts students’ ability to complete degree requirements and almost always require a negotiation of appropriate time for improvement and healing.

The Eastman School of Music has implemented a procedure to manage and process student requests for coordinating accommodation arrangements due to short-term injury or illness. In order to receive a treatment recommendation, physical therapy, or accommodations, students must first have an appointment with a health care provider at University Health Services (UHS) regarding the injury. A UHS nurse should be the first point of contact and will help the student determine whether to be seen by the physical therapist or the physician, depending on the nature of the injury.

Once seen by a health care provider they will be given a treatment recommendation on a Statement of Health Form. The student must bring the Statement of Health Form to the Office of Student Life and meet with the Assistant Dean for Student Life. The student must consent to release the information to appropriate faculty members. The Assistant Dean will work closely with Academic Affairs and faculty members on accommodations according to the student’s treatment plan in order to facilitate a healthy recovery.

If a student has a question about the policy or about their situation, he or she should first contact the Assistant Dean for Student Life, Melissia Schmidt,

Request for Academic Accommodations for Short Term Injury

horizontal rule

Additional Policies and Resources