From a performance by the Eastman Community Music School Jazz Combo on the opening day, June 22, through guitarist Bob Sneider’s final nightly performance wrapping up the festival eight days later, Eastman School of Music faculty, students, and alumni will be appearing throughout the 2012 Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival.
Eastman has been involved in the jazz festival since it was founded in 2002. Concerts take place in the School’s performance halls and other venues within a short walking distance of the campus, with Gibbs Street renamed “Jazz Street” for the duration of the event. The 2012 Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival runs Friday, June 22, through Saturday, June 30.
In addition, Eastman faculty members will teach several courses June 25 to 30. Paul Hoffman is offering a jazz history course for the second year in a row. Jazz improvisation will be taught by Hofmann, Howard Potter, Bill Tiberio, Clay Jenkins, and Dariusz Terefenko. Classes require pre-registration at www.esm.rochester.edu/summer . Harold Danko and Jeff Campbell are directing a daily pre-concert discussion/demonstration called the “Legacy of Masters of Jazz” ($10 per session, walk-in basis.)
Eastman musicians can be seen and heard on each day and various stages during the festival:
- Since the launch of the festival, Bob Sneider and his trio close out each night with a jam session at 10:30 p.m. at the Rochester Plaza State St. Bar & Grill.
- 6 p.m., Jazz Street Stage: the Eastman Community Music School Jazz Combo led by Bob Sneider
Saturday, June 23
- 5:45 and 7:45 p.m., Hatch Recital Hall, Eastman East Wing: Bill Cunliffe, piano * 6 p.m., Jazz Street Stage: Eastman Community Music School Jazz Combo let by Mike Kaupa
Sunday June 24
- 6 p.m., Jazz Street Stage: Eastman School of Music Honors Performance Unit 1, Karl Stabnau Group
Monday, June 25
- 5:15 p.m., Jazz Street Stage: Eastman Community Music School Latin Jazz Ensemble
- 6 p.m., Jazz Street Stage: Eastman School of Music Honors Performance Unit 2: Levi Saelua Octet, with Levi Saelua, alto saxophone; Alexa Tarantino, tenor saxophone; Joe Kozlowski, trumpet; Brendan Lanighan, trombone; Noah Berman, guitar; Reuben Allen, piano; Matt Krol, bass; Eric Metzgar, drums
- 6 and 10 p.m., Rochester Club: Mike Cottone Quartet
- 7 p.m., Kodak Hall at Eastman Theatre: Scholarship Concert with Eastman Youth Jazz Orchestra directed by Howard Potter, Eastman Jazz Ensemble directed by Bill Dobbins with special guest artist Clay Jenkins on trumpet
Tuesday, June 26:
- Noon, Central Library of Rochester and Monroe County: Doug Stone, saxophone
- 5:45 and 7:45 p.m., Hatch Recital Hall: Bill Dobbins Plays Ellington
- 6 p.m., Jazz Street Stage: Eastman Youth Jazz Orchestra, directed by Howard Potter
- 7:15 pm; Jazz Street Stage: New Horizons Big Band, directed by Priscilla Brown
- 9:15 pm; Jazz Street Stage: Music Educator’s Big Band, directed by Bill Tiberio
Wednesday, June 27:
- 6 p.m., Jazz Street Stage: Eastman School of Music-Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival Jazz Scholarships Alumni Combo
- 6 and 10 p.m., Montage: Kneebody
- 6:15 and 10 p.m., Max of Eastman Place: Shirantha Beddage Quartet
- 6:30 and 9 p.m., Xerox Auditorium: Rich Thompson Trio Generations
- 7 and 9 p.m., RG&E Fusion Stage: Russell Scarbrough Soul Jazz Big Band
Thursday, June 28:
- Noon, Central Library of Rochester and Monroe County: Bob Sneider and Friends
- 5:45 and 7:45 p.m., Hatch Recital Hall: Harold Danko, piano
Friday, June 29:
- Noon, Central Library of Rochester and Monroe County: Bill Tiberio Band
- 6 p.m., Jazz Street Stage: Eastman Community Music School Saxology
- 6 and 10 p.m., Montage: Music of Gil Evans with Ryan Truesdell and the Eastman Chamber Jazz Orchestra
- 7 p.m., East Ave. & Chestnut St. Stage: Po’ Boys Brass Band
Saturday, June 30:
- 2 p.m., Eastman School of MusicRoom 120: Kids Jam Session with Bob Sneider, Rich Thompson, and Jeff Campbell
- 5:15 p.m., Jazz Street Stage: Jazz Bones directed by Evan Dobbins
- 6 p.m., Jazz Street Stage: ESM Honors Performance Unit 3, Mike Conrad Sextet, Mike Conrad, trombone; Dave Chisholm, trumpet; Ethan Helm and Doug Stone, saxophone; Ben Thomas bass; Matt Honor, drums.
The full schedule of performers and venues can be found on the Rochester International Jazz Festival website at www.rochesterjazz.com.
# # #