The Conservatory Exchange Program expands opportunities for Eastman students by creating student exchanges with leading European conservatories. A semester or year abroad offers the chance to improve language skills, appreciate a different culture, find a unique educational experience, learn about national performing styles, complete important research, or seek career opportunities.
Conservatory exchange partners are:
- Conservatoire National Supérieur de Musique de Paris, France
- Royal Academy of Music, London, England
- Royal College of Music, London, England
- Trinity College of Music, London, England
- Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester, England
- Royal Scottish Academy of Music & Drama, Glasgow, Scotland
- School of Music & Musicology, Göteborg University,Göteborg, Sweden
- Staatlich Hochschule für Musik, Freiburg, Germany
- Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst, Vienna, Austria
- Sibelius Akatemia – Helsinki, Finland
- Central Conservatory, Beijing, China
Eastman students participating in an exchange pay tuition and receive financial aid through the Eastman School, and receive tuition-free study at a cooperating European conservatory. Living and travel expenses and other costs or fees are borne by the student.
Undergraduate students who may be interested in a year or semester abroad are urged to plan their course schedule several semesters into the future in order to fit study abroad into their curriculum. Ideally, students will study abroad during their junior year, or during the second year of the master’s degree. Master’s or doctoral students may use the exchange year to extend their degree studies by a semester or a year.
Information materials, application form, and recommendation forms are available below. All forms must be submitted by December 3, 2012 to AcademicAffairs@esm.rochester.edu. The Office of Academic Affairs can provide more specific information on eligibility, course credit, financial aid, and advising.
- Application (updated 11/28/12)
- Studio Teacher Recommendation Form (updated 11/28/12)
- Language Recommendation Form (updated 11/28/12)
Eastman students also have the option of participating in programs offered by the University of Rochester’s Study Abroad Office, although these programs are not always directly relevant to a musical education. IES (the Institute for the International Education of Students, www.iesabroad.org) offers music-based study programs in London, Milan, Paris, and Vienna. The Milan program in particular offers instruction at several conservatories, including the Accademia Musical G. Marziale, the Civica Scuola di Musica, and the Conservatorio G. Verdi.
IES also offers opportunities for non-musical study in additional locations. Application to IES programs is made directly to IES (an independent organization) or the University of Rochester’s Study Abroad office, with support from Eastman in securing the best possible teacher.